Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 19 »

Re: Peterson's 1940 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, they dropped their Saf-T-Flex suspension (which used the center link) with the advent of the Clipper which had a much more familiar, you might say GM-style, front suspension. I don't believe center-link was particular to Packard, I seem to remember that Hudson used a similar arrangement?

Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:17
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes that bearing that West has pointed out with the Yellow arrow. I was watching a restoration show on DIY network a 4/5 years ago and Mark Lambert (who I just saw at the PI Meet this year) was restoring a 38(?) Club Coupe. He was the one that pointed out that bearing is often neglected and called the original style open bearing similar to one that is used on a bicycle fork. Then showed a replacement from Max Merritt which was a bit more of a enclosed design.

That was actually the show that got me interested in Packards.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave, so would that have been with the 1941 Clippers when the Safe-T-Flex was dropped? I am assuming that the other models kept it?

Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:27
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Yes that bearing that West has pointed out with the Yellow arrow. I was watching a restoration show on DIY network a 4/5 years ago and Mark Lambert (who I just saw at the PI Meet this year) was restoring a 38(?) Club Coupe. He was the one that pointed out that bearing is often neglected and called the original style open bearing similar to one that is used on a bicycle fork. Then showed a replacement from Max Merritt which was a bit more of a enclosed design.

That was actually the show that got me interested in Packards.

The exact same show that "taught" me how to go through this car. Mark is a good friend and one of the nicest guys I know, and he sent me a CD with every segment covering that car.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:28
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I wonder if I can order a copy of that CD/DVD from Mark or the DIY network. I was hoping they would re-air it so I can capture it on my Tivo. But they haven't. I would like to watch that again.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:31
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
...Note the mouton carpeting in the back, which animal rights activists are not to pleased about...

West, Great car. Congratulations. I believe that your rear floor covering is not Mouton wool carpeting, but unborn lamb. Scary.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/2/3 18:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
... or lamb that is just a few hours old. That's what mouton is. The unique element of the unborn lamb (or just-born lamb) wool is that it has a very tight curl to it (giving that very swirly look that you see in the back carpeting), which straightens out very fast after they're born.
My son just received a "mouton" Russian hat that is advertised to be mouton, but it does not have any curl to it at all. So, in my opinion, it is not really mouton.

Am I incorrect?

Posted on: 2010/2/4 9:31
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Off topic, but I didn't do it...
Kevin - I have loaned my Lambert CD to Nelson and his son has promised to copy it. That was months ago, so if you will please be the bad guy and make some noise, I would hope I could get you a copy. And the bearing in question was used from 1935-1938 (and a few early 39-110's). After that disaster, Packard went to a greased bushing. And the assembled prop used in the video was from a 37. mine.

DF

Posted on: 2010/2/4 11:47
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

flackmaster wrote:
And the assembled prop used in the video was from a 37. mine.

DF

Amazing what a small world we have here! Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 12:31
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
When the first independent suspension cars came out, many of them used a similar arrangement of steering tie rods.

I know Chrysler products were like that except they had an L shaped bell crank. The steering box was located as it would be for a beam axle car and the rod ran straight forward to the bell crank.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 16:36
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved