Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Grandpa's '28 526 - The good, The bad, and the Ugly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
I have recently been given, what is very likely my Grandfather's first car - 1928 526 sedan. Family lore is that it was purchased, likely in 1935 and driven by the uncle who raised him. It is unclear at this point, exactly when it was given to my Grandfather, but the title was never transferred. At some point, he returned the car to his uncle. Parked in 1948, and stored in various garages ever since. Its condition was apparently very good until in 1951-'52, some joy riding teenagers took it through a field, complete with fencing, and narrow posts. The evidence of this foray is still present.

The Good - "Free to a good home", or words to that effect when none of the first generation showed enough interest to stop my getting the car.

The Bad - I may have been ripped off!!!!

The Ugly - There is no ugly! It is after all, a Packard!! My rose colored glasses may be showing, but I can only see what it was and what it will be again.

Spent a few hours this weekend, liberating the interior from the confines of the factory. As a hobbiest woodworker, I am not at all afraid of the rotted wood, in fact, there is a lot more intact than I had expected. I need new pillars, and both top pieces, but the bottom, (which I had feared the most, as without these, the body might fall apart, and dimensions hard to replicate) is totally intact.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.25 KB)
2328_4b9eac0cacd48.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/3/15 17:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Grandpa's '28 526 - The good, The bad, and the Ugly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You could be VERY popular around here.

One of the big problems in old Packards, and other pre 1940 cars, is the difficulty of getting replacement wood.

If you have the skills and tools to make wood parts for old Packards you could have a nice money making venture.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 17:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Bring it on!..., I have been told in the past that I should work wood for a living. But, I am too finicky, (read slow) and I get bored with production work anyway, so maybe this would be a good outlet.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 17:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Aren't those wheel skates great? You can push your Packard sideways single handed to get to those difficult locations, of which you'll have a few, I'll bet.

I do not need any woodwork since I only have V-8 cars, but I'm sure there are those here that are thankful for your generous offer of "assistance." Good luck with your "woodie" project! Keep us posted.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/3/15 19:20
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
The Bad - I may have been ripped off!!!!

How so? The only thing I can think of in this situation is a difficulty getting it titled. It sounds as if you are more than capable of the wood work, and engine work can always be asked about here. Good luck sir.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 19:36
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
It was a joke.
It is worth every bit what I paid, more actually, about 12 cents a lb. (also a joke)

I have the title in hand, and several pictures of the original owner - none of him with the car as of yet, or likely ever.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 19:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
That's neat to have your grandfather's first car. Does the firewall plate tell where it was first delivered? From Independence, Missouri, I'll guess Reid-Ward out of KC. That is where my car came from, and it also has an Independence connection.

I'm still trying to find out the name of the original owner of my car. I have his initials, GSC, which i'm told could be Chrysler, a big name in that area at one time.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 7:43
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

j. c. springer
See User information
I have one same comdition ,I have it stripped if i can i will send you a pic. looks same as yours , i just took the waterpump apart.

Posted on: 2010/3/17 19:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Thought that I would go crazy today, so I set about to take the head off, just to take a gander at its condition. I think that it is trememndous condidering its 60 year storage. I see plenty of carbon, but that is from driving, not sitting, obviously. No rust in cylinder, (one VERY minor), or on anything else for that matter. I will download the picture soon.

The big find, (to my mind) is a hidden ignition key! wire wrapped inside the support arm between the radiator and the fire wall. I tried, but it would not magically make it start.

Ray,

fluid is the residual marvel oil that I put in about a week ago, it only remains in the front (#6?)

Attach file:

jpg  (188.91 KB)
2328_4ba288500e389.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/18 12:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
cylinders looks to be in excellent condtion so far...

Posted on: 2010/3/18 19:33
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved