Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

Re: Chuck's 48 Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
My latest attempt at getting a registration was successful. Very efficient system here, only took 22 hrs of work over 10 months time...

Posted on: 2010/2/23 17:01
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roger L. Hosmer
See User information
Hooray

Posted on: 2010/2/23 20:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
A cool score from a local parts hoarder! I also may be getting a set of new tires for $100. Blackwall only, but good enough for driving.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.43 KB)
1470_4b965fee4de7b.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (78.52 KB)
1470_4b96600827f53.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/3/9 9:51
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Today, I went to go and deliver an exhaust pipe with the Packard and found brake pedal went straight to the floor. After a quick once-over to find any possible leaks, I determined the Master cyl was bad. I removed it and disassembled it. That third bolt near the top sucks. The secondary seal on the piston was shot but the primary cup looked good. Upon further examination, I found that a small groove had formed in the cup from a rust pit shaped like a groove. This must've formed when the car sat for 20 years. I got most of it out but think it'll likely fail again. Replace or sleeve? I'm back on the road now with a rebuild kit.

Attach file:

jpg  (210.87 KB)
1470_4bb3e9422653d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (87.08 KB)
1470_4bb3e9608d0f1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (209.61 KB)
1470_4bb3e97d5edec.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (143.81 KB)
1470_4bb3e9991999e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/31 19:32
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Rebuilts from the vendors are up there --Kanter 155 and Merritt 175 so depends on how much a sleeve would be. I believe that third bolt hole makes them rather scarce at parts stores unlike the 51 on which was more standard--but could be wrong and am sure someone into the 22-23s will correct if so.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 19:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Apple Hydraulics lists sleeving a master at 80 plus s&h. I hate sending out parts when I don't have a spare. Haven't had any lost yet, but the possibility's always there. The rust groove seems to have formed right where the cup seal would rest. I think, when it fails again, I'll pull the wheel cyls as well and get 'em all done. That's some tight quarters under there on the line end. Real tight fit for all those tough bends on the "spiderweb" of lines! So no doubt I'll be doing it again, but not looking forward to it.

I was going to take it on a 180 mile round trip this weekend, but I'm not trusting the tires yet. Haven't gotten around to mounting my "new" ones yet. My old ones look good but I noticed lots of dryrot cracks between the treads.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 23:51
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I've got 2 of the tires mounted. They're a narrower whitewall, but they're for driving. I've just bought a set of door seals for all 4 doors and trunk seal. Apparently, they sell a trunk seal for 51-54 and you cut it down to fit? Any recommendations for an adhesive to use on the seals? These ought to stop the rattling of the doors when driving. Been driving it a lot lately. Drives like a champ. These seals should be the last of the "needs", after that starts the "wants".

Posted on: 2010/4/15 3:04
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Any recommendations for an adhesive to use on the seals?

I'd use 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. As to the master cylinder, you don't have to buy a rebuilt, you can buy brand new (not NOS) from Kanters.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 8:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
These are the new goodies. I started with a good solid rot-free car so new rubber parts'll go a long way towards keeping it that way. I'll check some local stores for the 3m glue. There isn't anything left of the originals so I wasn't sure of the attaching method.
Hmmm, new master cyl? That may be something for tax time...

Attach file:

jpg  (142.12 KB)
1470_4bc78014c3f4c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/4/15 16:11
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
That 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive that Owen recommended is yellow in color. It is very effective at fastening rubber to metal. I used it on my rumble seat cover and trunk lid gaskets. Steele also recommends it. It can get a bit messy, so proceed carefully. We used to call it "Gorilla Snot".

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/4/15 17:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved