Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
29 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 29

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: New to Packardworld-Just trying to get car started
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No a universal 6 v coil is fine. Was just considering the possibility a 12v coil was in there by mistake. While not really 12v, those do take more than the 5 or 6v you will have available.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 12:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Generally a universal 6v coil should work just fine. But remember it's a 6v coil, not a 12v one. So you really should be looking to buy a 6volt battery or things could get expense if you start smoking parts. Napa sells 6v batteries that will fit.

If you are planning on going 12v, then go buy a 12v coil and a 12v solenoid for testing. Of course there are other things that would have to be changed out as well (bulbs, voltage step downs for the gauges, etc).

Posted on: 2010/6/2 13:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

slimtempo
See User information
Woohoo! It started. I have a 6v John Deere battery that fits the tray. It turned over, then coughed, then sputtered to life. Now I need to find the generator wires to charge the battery. As I said, there were very few wires connected.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 13:11
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

slimtempo
See User information
Just filled the radiator. Yikes! Two big leaks. Is there a standard replacement radiator for these beasts?

Posted on: 2010/6/2 13:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nothing aftermarket I'm aware of. Options seem to be repair, recore or find good used.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
When you wire up that generator, be sure to read up on polarizing it and how to connect it to the regulator. Not as easy as hooking up an alternator :)

Posted on: 2010/6/2 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

slimtempo wrote:
Woohoo! It started. I have a 6v John Deere battery that fits the tray. It turned over, then coughed, then sputtered to life. Now I need to find the generator wires to charge the battery. As I said, there were very few wires connected.

I gave up on the original wiring for my 48's charging system. I just ran my own wires using the diagrams on this site.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 20:18
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved