Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Valve tappets, FREE f.o.b. Dayton
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
These valve tappets came in a box of prewar Packard parts I bought. Someone mentioned that they might be for a V8. Can anyone here help me identify what they might fit?

If and when they do get identified, if there's anyone that wants them I'd be happy to part with them for only shipping cost, or FREE f.o.b. Dayton.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.33 KB)
404_47cc39ea6d09a.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/3/3 12:48
 Top  Print 

Re: Valve tappets, FREE f.o.b. Dayton
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe they are from one of the pre-WW II Standard (320 ci) or Super (385 ci) 8 cylinder motors, the ones with the aluminum crankcase and cast iron bores. The roller followers are attached to pivoting arms, part way up each is a hardened steel pad which pushes the lifter up. I wouldn't say anything for these engines is exactly plentiful, but they are rarely needed for a rebuild.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 14:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
West,

Thought you where going to retire off the funds you make on these

Posted on: 2008/3/3 14:04
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Tom
I refer you to Owen's last line.
Owen
That makes sense, as the box was labelled "1931 Packard parts." However, since I'm not familiar with the innards of engines, and not knowing what roller tappets look like, I assumed these weren't roller tappet sets.
Tom
Do you need 3/4's of a set of valve tappets for your car? I'd consider accepting half-retirement payment for them!

Posted on: 2008/3/3 15:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
West,

Thanks for the offer but I need to save my money for my retirement

Posted on: 2008/3/3 20:25
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
As far as I know, the pre-war 320 & 385 all ran roller rocker arms. They pivot on shafts attached to the rectangular rocker covers. I do not think those are from the multi-piece aluminum crankcase straight 8 engines. As I recall, the tappet guide blocks are integral cast as part of the cylinder block. With that said, I am sure someone much more knowledgeable will enlighten us all.

Posted on: 2008/3/4 0:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wow, I hope I'm not getting dementia or early Altzheimers, I have no idea why I thought those tappet bodies were from the detachable bore Eights thru 39! I went out and pulled the valve covers from my spare engine, and said "holy cow, why did I say that?". I have no idea what they are from. Sorry for the uninformed response.

Posted on: 2008/3/8 11:29
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved