Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A Piece of History
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Our City has had the good fortune of hosting one of two WWII Lancaster bombers that are still in flying condition for the last week. The sound of four Packard Merlin engines roaring overhead is a special experience.

Attach file:

jpg  (107.25 KB)
1137_4c5e23e98056d.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (117.95 KB)
1137_4c5e24118025a.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (100.38 KB)
1137_4c5e242e8661d.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (25.32 KB)
1137_4c5e2448e92a8.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/8/7 22:28
 Top  Print   

Re: A Piece of History
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I also had the extreme pleasure of hearing those big Merlin engines when the Lancaster arrived in Thunder Bay.The bomber is named for Victoria Cross recipient Andrew Mynarski from Winnipeg Manitoba. Marvelous!

http://www.warplane.com/pages/aircraft_lancaster.html

Posted on: 2010/8/8 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Those Lancaster bombers are impressive. I can only imagine what one of them must sound like, like four Mustangs? They and the famous RAF Squadron 617 were featured in the "Dam Busters" movie. Those Merlin engines could have been made by Rolls Royce, Packard, Continental, or Ford of England; although, I believe most of the surviving Merlins are the Packard-built type. I can't read the text, but the illustration on the Packard ad "From Horseless Carriages to Multi Engine Bombers" is confusing as it pictures what appears to be the B-24 Liberator bomber. This airplane did not use Packard-built engines.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/9 10:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, Unfortunately for me at least the Lancaster came in to the airport directly from Lake Superior and landed into a strong wind with the props feathered and the throttles barely above idle. The next day I was on my way to Toronto and never had the opportunity to hear the engines in "full song" during take off as the plane headed west.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 12:48

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved