Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Water Pump Installation - 1936 120 Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
I want to install a new water pump on my 1936 120 straight eight. Can I remove the water pump without removing the radiator? Sure looks like it would be close.

I am loking at buying a water pump from Kanter for $225... good deal??

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/8/9 0:09
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print 

Re: Water Pump Installation - 1936 120 Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi,

I don't know if its the same as my set up but if you remove the fan blade first there is just enough room to remove the whole unit.

Loosen off the nuts on the ring surrounding the pump and turn it until the fan belt becomes slack.

As for price, I cant help, I got a rebuild kit from Max Merritt, 2 bearings, seals, gasket and 'greese seal' for around $70 if I remember correctly.

Be really carefull, the red will get damaged very easy.

Slan,

Pat.

Attach file:

jpg  (125.56 KB)
1195_4c5fd1cc5c7fc.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/8/9 5:00
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bill, you can remove your water pump without removing the radiator, just remove the fan first. If you get some interference from the front motor mount, you may have to put a jack under the oil pan and relieve the sag of the front mount to get at the lower pump bolts.

It's an entirely different than the pump on IrishPackard's car which is very easily owner-rebuilt. For yours, another option in addition to outright purchase of a new pump is to send the pump to a rebuilder like Gould rebuilders - usually a 5 day turnaround, and perhaps $100 or so.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 8:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
........and that, my friends, is why I should shut up and leave dispensing advice to those who know what they are talking about!

Posted on: 2010/8/9 13:59
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
........and that, my friends, is why I should shut up and leave dispensing advice to those who know what they are talking about!

Ah, we'd miss you! Keep chiming in and join the rest of us who all sometimes dispense advice not relevant or incorrect. And besides, I learned something from your post, namely that Max sells a water pump kit for the older prewar senior-style pumps.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 14:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Posted by flackmaster:

"Definitely can remove without taking the radiator out. Tight squeeze. First, cut a piece of cardboard or super thin plastic to radiator core size to save knuckles and core from accidents. Next remove fan from pump.

To remove wp, likely will have to jack up engine about 1/2" to get to the lower bolts which are often tough to get due to engine settling at front mount. That and a waterpump, and you should be good to go.

Someone will probably chime in about pulling the water distribution tube and flushing the block...for that you WILL have to remove the radiator.

I can supply a waterpump for less $$ than Kanter, $175 exchange, but I cannot offer a lifetime guarantee."

DAF

Posted on: 2010/8/10 0:30
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Here is the website for Goulds:

www.ArthurGouldRebuilders.com/index.htm

I will contact them to get a quote. Thank you for giving me the name! $100 would be a great deal!

FlackMaster -

Great idea on covering the radiator with cardboard!!!

My water pump is toward the top of the front of the block... why would I have to lift it up 1/2 an inch?? It doesn't seem that this would affect anything that would be near the bolts on my pump??

Oh, any tips or tricks to removing the fan?? How does it attach??

Another question - The radiator inlet (top) hose I bought does not have a fitting to attach the heater hose. I bought it from Merritt. Can I buy a hose with the fitting? Or, will I have to cut a hole in my hose and restore the fitting?

Where is a good place to buy original type heater hoses? Kanter sells a set for $50... good deal??

Posted on: 2010/8/10 0:38
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Goulds is $175... completely rebuilt and sent home in primer.... quick turn around time too.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 9:16
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The heater hose connection is to a threaded hole in the water pump at the inlet - some pumps did not have this hole, particularly early 35's, and an inline connection was spliced in, often into the top hose. I can post a picture if you are not sure what I mean. The hoses themselves do not need to be bought from Packard vendors specifically. The radiator hoses are 1 1/2" diameter, and the heater hoses are 5/8". Nothing sexy. Should be available at your local farm tractor supplier or regular discount auto parts store. Failing that, a plumbing supply house....

Removing the fan is pretty straightforward, just be sure there are lockwashers in place when you reinstall. Experience talking there.

As for jacking up the engine, you shall soon enough understand that suggestion.

I had a few waterpumps rebuilt recently, so I have fresh and ready to ship, and, to entice, free shipping. Not in primer, as they should be painted with Packard green engine paint, which I haven't gotten around to yet. But I will spray with Rustoleum primer on request.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 9:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a bit of advice from long experience on reinstalling the fan. Though the fan will centralize itself when hung on the hub, the close quarters can make it difficult to align the first bolt with a threaded hole in the hub. What I've done to make this much easier is to grind the head off a short bolt of the same thread and install it loosely in the hub as a pilot stud. Then when hanging the fan on the hub with one hole thru the pilot, the others are already aligned and ready for installation of the bolts and lockwashers. Then just unscrew the little pilot bolt and install the last bolt/lockwasher to finish the job. Throw the pilot in your tool box for the next time.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 9:56
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved