Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 35

Gary Kulp, DM37, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Carribean interior color
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
I don't know if any of you are familiar with this car, but it is the 1954 that was previously owned by Wes Sylvester. At some point, the interior was recolored. If you flip the seat over and look at the original colors, the portion that really should be whitish looks a little silver. Does anyone know whether the whitish leather color is supposed to be white, ivory or some other color?

Also, does anyone know what color the top should be? I have seen it offered in off-white, black and tan. I think that all of the pictures that I have seen are off-white.

I would appreciate your thoughts or advice.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 11:53
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/regist
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Carribean interior color
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
What color is the exterior? I might have some photos of a similar car I can share that would give you some clues.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 12:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
I meant to put that in, sorry. The exterior is Gulf Green and Sahara Sand.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 13:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Here are a few photos. If you can't use them, send a private message to me on this website with your email address and I'll try that route. Good luck.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.19 KB)
590_4c702d4c1d8b3.jpg 400X266 px

jpg  (15.73 KB)
590_4c702d9779879.jpg 266X400 px

jpg  (15.14 KB)
590_4c702dc3756fa.jpg 266X400 px

jpg  (14.88 KB)
590_4c702e0603a68.jpg 400X266 px

jpg  (22.87 KB)
590_4c702e2fe1ff6.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (21.66 KB)
590_4c702e442a292.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2010/8/21 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
You can also find info on the PAC website:

http://www.packardclub.org/

If you go to the reference section and select the trim subsection you'll find that the standard for the 5478 were trim codes 82,83,86, and 87.

There are a number of sources for leather stock. Bill Hirsch and SMS Fabrics are two of many who could provide the leather

Another idea might be to contact the members of the PAC who currently own 5478's and find another car with your interior and plead for a sample of the green and white from their car.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 15:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Thank you.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 16:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
I am having trouble with the trunk material. Bill Hirsch says that nobody that he knows of makes the trunk material for a 1954 Caribbean at this point and suggests using carpet.

The person that I talked to at SMS says that they have the floor material only, but also told me that Packard did not make a Caribbean in 1954. She said that only the normal convertible was made in 1954, so I am doubtful as to whether SMS has the correct material or not.

I have read that the sides of the trunk had a sort of flocking that was originally paint with goat hair in it. I have also read that the material behind the rear seat was cardboard and that the flooring was a sort of vinyl/material mixture.

Can anyone help with what the correct material and pattern/color for the various trunk lining material is and where I might order it? Any help would be appreciated. I have been calling businesses in the Packard yellow pages and others that I found through internet searches, but have not had a lot of luck.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 16:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
54 and earlier trunks were flocked. The mat was a sort of vinyl pad that was also flocked. You can buy flock from Donjer Products. It should be sort of a brown/grey mixture of relatively coarse flock--there are probably a few odd corners of your trunk with the stuff still adhered. It was and is a very delicate covering.

I don't recommend the flocking gun they sell. When I did a few trunks I had much better luck brushing on the glue in a moderate area, then applying the flock by throwing handfuls of it at the back of a small table fan. When the flock hits the fan.....

Posted on: 2010/8/23 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I remember in high school arts and crafts class we used a "flint gun" to spray flocking. The gun was a hand pumped thing and its common use was spraying insecticide like DDT in home gardens. Wow, where did that recall come from?! Check with the arts and crafts stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.).

Packard made a Caribbean in 1954.

(o(I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/23 22:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved