Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Overdrive Engagement Speed Adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
THanks for the feedback, guys.

Regarding the small business thought: There are many days that I wish I could quit my paying job and turn my hobby into money, but I don't expect to be able to make that work. I've rebuilt many parts for others ranging from fan and wiper motors to transmissions, and truly enjoy it, but not sure I could feed the family with it!

In the meantime, if there is a serious request for a modified governor, I would entertain making a few more.

In the meantime, I need to rebuild my carburetor so I can get back on the road.

Thanks again.
Pat

Posted on: 2010/8/20 14:29
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jeffreyh
See User information
Regarding the OD enable speed, I will add these thoughts...

The bigger the engine (greater low-end torque), the less that OD enable speed matters. To the Six, it's a big deal if you shift from second to third at 22 mph, and get 3rd OD instead of the 3rd direct that you had in mind. The big eight could care less - plenty of torque to muscle through.

But, I believe that as time went on, the industry settled on a higher enable speed. (just based on a couple of data points from the fifties and sixties) If you wanted 2nd OD, you had to "wind it up" a bit. Otherwise, the shift progression was 1, 2, 3, 3OD. A much better scenario for the Six.

I can personally endorse the analytical approach taken in this project, since a minor disagreement ended up costing me a beer. The car does drive beautifully!!

Jeff

P.S. You may want to tighten your security a bit, since you just let a Buick guy on the forum!!

Posted on: 2010/8/24 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Pat, was your car going into 3rd OD by itself while you were shifting from 2nd? That's not right. You should probably take my car for a drive again. Even when my car is going fast enough where it is ready to shift into OD (signaled by the red light on the dash), it will not shift into OD during gear changes unless I take an unusually long time to make the shift.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 12:00
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jeffreyh
See User information
It would be great to conduct a survey, and see what everyone's car does under this scenario: Accelerate beyond 22 mph in 2nd, then shift. Did you get 3rd or 3rd OD?

I can't see any reason why you won't get 3rd OD, as you are shifting. Maybe I am missing something.

West, I thought we got all of that sludge out of your transmission! (only kidding)

Jeff

P.S. Unfortunately, I can't join this survey, since torque tube Buicks never have this issue! My loss.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 12:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The overdrive completes its shift when the torque in the driveline reverses for an instant and the engine is pushed by the car. This happens when you take your foot off the gas for a normal overdrive upshift, or if you are not a little aggressive when making the 2-3 shift. If the car coasts down a hair while you are still in second, the overdrive will engage.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 13:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved