Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel Filter 55 Constellation
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
This may be a dumb question, but I have to ask before I damage something. On my 55 V8, the fuel filter bowl that attaches to the front of the carb, is impossible to open (so far). I have removed the clamp and soaked the joint with Rusteater and PB Blaster over the period of two weeks and I still cant separate the glass bowl from the metal housing. I suspect that the bowl just sits in a recess of the housing, with a gasket, but I want to make sure it's not screwed in. I've tried twisting it, tapping with a screwdriver handle, soaking, etc., all to no avail. I'm considering trying to put it in the freezer for a while to see if that might brake the connection, or possible a low temp oven. I'm not worried about fumes since this thing has been dry for at least 5 years.
Thanks,
John

Posted on: 2008/3/17 19:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Filter 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it's the standard filter, there is a rubber composite gasket that the glass may have "melted" into. Here are a couple of picts I took when doing a modern retrofit showing the disassembled unit and the original gasket to give you an idea of what's there.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.31 KB)
209_47df0c55948c8.jpg 577X348 px

jpg  (10.49 KB)
209_47df0c7de58ef.jpg 371X293 px

Posted on: 2008/3/17 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks HH. That looks like mine, but the my bowl has a brown coating on the inside (varnished fuel I suspect) so I can't even see through it. If they originally came with a rubber gasket, I may have to try the oven thing first. I don't think 250 degrees should hurt anything, do you?
John

Posted on: 2008/3/17 19:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Soak it in some thinner or acetone. That should break down the varnish and let the two halves come apart. Mine was also stuck in a similar fashion.

Posted on: 2008/3/17 19:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd try lower if possible because I don't know how stressed the glass would be. Not having tried anything like that though, I"ll bow to anyone else's opinion that may have been in same situation. What about soaking in some carburetor cleaner or carb dip and trying to get some inside bowl.

Posted on: 2008/3/17 19:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
JSELPH: I think putting that fuel filter assembly in a oven at 250 isn't the smartest thing to do. Doing something like that could be very dangerous, you could end up with house fire.

Do as Kevin has subjected. Get some lacquer thinner put the thinner is closed metal container and let the entire filter assembly soak for a couple of days.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/3/17 20:19
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
soak it in thinner or carb cleaner for about a week or so. If it is still stuck then plug the inlet or outlet and install a air compressor hose to the other end.

WRAP THE ASSSEMBLY WITH A HEAVY TOWL to prevent glass scattering should it break. Also, when applying the air pressure try it at about 5 psi and let it set for an hour or two. Incrementaly raise the pressure by about 10 pounds until it loosens.

The glkass is THICK and stout. My guess is that it will easily take 50 psi with out breaking. Probably more. It should come loose at no more than 30 psi. Just don't rush the process.

Posted on: 2008/3/17 21:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I like PackardV8's suggestion. The air pressure will force it open. I don't like the oven idea at all.

Posted on: 2008/3/17 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I will try the soaking thing first. I have a carb cleaner can with basket, so that would make it easier.
Just a note on the oven process: I do this on a regular basis with other items and it is safe if you do it correctly. I have an electric oven and I bring it up to temp, shut it off, then put whatever I'm working on inside for about 30 minutes. That's usually sufficient to achieve the expansion I'm looking for, and it doesn't damage the oven (keeps the wife happy).

Posted on: 2008/3/18 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jselph. Yes, the oven process u mention as well as other processes involving gas containers IS entirely safe when done correctly.

The unit must be DRY and VOID of all LIQUID fuel. Washing in HOT soapy water is an alternative to speed the drying process but i rarely use it for obvious reasons. Even still, there mite be some very faint fumes i have yet to have anything explode on me nor even flame.

Tho i would never try it BY MYSELF i have assisted in soldering tiny leakes in gas tanks ON the car where a torch was used to heat the tank and smear the tinners paste while applying the small brass patch. My job was to keep the seeping gas wiped off from the seaping hole and to cover any flame with a large rag that mite occur and to hand supplies and to hold the brass patch in place until it cooled. THE SECRET IS TO HAVE THE TANK **** FULL ***of gas. As in FILLED to the top.

Posted on: 2008/3/18 11:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved