Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Anonymous
pushbutton transmission
i have a 56 patrician-all original-but when i pulled in the yard the other day and then went to restart i found my transmission is not shifting in any gear=i have been trying to figure out how the pushbutton system works -but no success-if any one knows the sequence of checking out the systyem it would be appreciated--thank you

Top  Print 

Re: pushbutton transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I can, send me an e-mail, at turbopackman327@ msn.com, and I'll give you my phone #, and can walk you through it.

Posted on: 2007/3/26 19:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Round up the usual suspects, but start with the push-button pressure control switch.
PNR work off a different power supply than HDL. Do NO pushbuttons work or just PNR? Just for grins check out HDL and see if you can hear the shifting mechanism.
(see if you can hear(LOL)
Double check the pushbutton wiring plug at the inside firewall and make sure it is plugged in tight.

Posted on: 2007/3/26 22:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
robert -

Be sure to download, print, and review the PDF file of the "Auto Lite Push Button Motor Service Manual", which is available in the Packard Articles section of this site. It has a step-by-step diagnostic procedure to get you started. Lots of good info in that one publication - even more than the Packard shop manual.

Then, if you haven't joined The Packard V8 Club, do so, and check out the index I compiled to all the Service Bulletins on the V8 Packards, including the push button shift controls. You can also download Packard's Service Counselors and Service Technical Bulletins from the Packard Articles section here. A few, but not all, of the Studebaker Service Bulletins have also been uploaded as well.

There are several people here who are well-versed in this area and can help where the published info falls short, if you report back with your findings.

Posted on: 2007/3/26 22:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Mr. Pushbutton here!, checking in after his sojourn to Kansas (where I got a ride in the hybrid synergy drive Patrician!)

Check all of the above things the other esteemed '56 owners have pointed out and get back to us. we'll get you running again. Look at my post re: Pushbuttons from about a month ago, I threw out a good deal of info on that one (it is under the V-8 forums)

DON'T TAKE THE MOTOR OFF OF THE ACTUATOR UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY KNOW IT IS COOKED (it never is) chances are there is a power problem as Randy recommends or there is a bent finger in the actuator, in which case you'll really want to read my last P-B post re: access to the finger bridge.

Posted on: 2007/3/27 6:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
John (Mr. Pushbutton) gives excellent advice. He's the one who helped me get the shifter working in my car, and his advice is golden.

BTW John, the "Hybrid Synergy Drive" Patrician made it all the way home without skipping a beat, and then drove 60 more miles to my mother's house. I think she enjoyed your company as much as I did, as she sure ran great Saturday night!

Posted on: 2007/3/27 7:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Robert: Welcome to the forum and congradulations on buying a Packard.

Two things that are must read information about the 55 and 56 Packards are the STB's and the three wolume book set on the Packard Ultramtic transmissions. Both of the above that I am refering to are on this web site under Packard articles. If you down load both of these and take time to read them, this will go along way in helping understand your Packard, and what to look for when something goes wrong or a question might come up. The above information that this site provides has never been realy provided by a major club like PAC. You will find people like Brian,Eric,know as much or more about the 55 & 56 Packard than some of the so called experts than some of the Packard clubs claim to have.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/3/28 21:12
 Top  Print 

Anonymous
hello john

this is bob buckler, funston ga-just checking in with you-wondering if you have found the problem--my email is sbabb@alltel.net---=229-941-2598

thks--bob

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Hi Bob -

Did you look for and download the AutoLite manual for this system? The documents and articles archived on this site are available at no charge and only require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and (if needed) print.

AutoLite designed and supplied this system to Packard. If you had trouble finding that manaul, here's a direct link:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/news/article.php?storyid=120

Weighing in at just under 4MB, I even downloaded this PDF over my painfully slow dial-up connection.

This document has detailed, step-by-step, troubleshooting procedures and diagnostic charts. In addition to a common 12-volt test light and a small screwdriver (something that every hands-on owner should have), you may need to construct a simple set of tell-tale lights, as described in this manual, from a couple of sockets with twelve volt bulbs.

I only mention this resource because you have given us very little to go by, and remote diagnosis is never easy.

When your "transmission is not shifting in any gear", the first thing you should do is check for voltage at terminal of the circuit breaker that's connected to the control relay ont he left fender splasher; it doesn't matter whether key is on or off. Other than that, it could be a problem with the parking relay (if yours hasn't been removed), the motor-reversing shift relay, system wiring, contact segments, or even the motor itself.

However, do NOT waste time removing the motor until you have properly diagnosed the problem. Report back with your finding and we can try to pick up with where the manual leaves off.

I'm sure MrPushbutton will have some quick answers if you give us something more to go on.

Posted on: 2007/4/9 19:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Bob, what you had happening was a new one for me. I put the motor back on the actuator to see what was wrong. I, like you had shifting in L,H & D, nothing in P,R,N on my test board, just like we talked about on the phone. I poked around with my test light and found that there was power going to the (+12V) bus on the console-keys (through your harness, just like we talked about on the phone) but no action. This had me puzzled for a moment. I checked each finger and when the corresponding button was pushed, I got power @ that finger, like there should be, but no action. I pushed on the finger with my test light probe and got action, it jumped to life. I tried the other two non-operational fingers and they too jumped into action. I removed the finger bridge and inspected it and found two things:
1)The left hand threaded hole that is meant to keep the fastener holding the bridge firmly in place was stripped, you could wiggle the bridge up and down at that end--this isn't supposed to be like this.

2) the fingers for P,R,N were badly distempered and not exerting forcce against the (moving) contact segment. At some time in the past a condition exsisted where those fingers came into contact with ground. When this happens they will glow orange, like a stove element and distemper.

The photos tell the rest of the story.

One thing I should mention is that when a unit is in this kind of condition, it's in everyone's best interest to take it off of the car, send it to either Kanter, Sandy Chirco or me, whomever you like best and get the full work up. I can service one on the car and make it as reliable as one I bench-service, but I can't give 25 years of experience over the phone.
After this full go through the car will never leave you stranded at Dairy Queen in Reverse.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.38 KB)
129_461b057b773bd.jpg 850X668 px

jpg  (37.86 KB)
129_461b058f15c68.jpg 850X638 px

jpg  (47.24 KB)
129_461b05ad09b54.jpg 850X714 px

jpg  (38.74 KB)
129_461b05bdde389.jpg 850X697 px

jpg  (42.43 KB)
129_461b05d23372e.jpg 850X769 px

jpg  (38.93 KB)
129_461b05ecd731b.jpg 850X638 px

Posted on: 2007/4/9 22:35
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved