Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

R-6 overdrive transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Have to ask; just acquired in group of parts a Packard including an R-6 overdrive transmission It appears shorter and with less electrical hookups than an R-9. Is anyone familiar with the R-6. Can i use it in my 1940 110?
Thank You
John Miller

Posted on: 2010/10/6 19:44
 Top  Print 

Re: R-6 overdrive transmission
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
R-6 was used in '39 only. Known for being fragile and lacking lockout devices that can lead to those unfamiliar with proper operation doing damage. The R-6 can be used, but not really the best choice.

The R-9 is a good sturdy unit that is electrically complicated. The R-11 is regarded as the best all around unit.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 20:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
OOPS! i did not acquire a Packard just the R-6 Overdrive Transmission.
John

Posted on: 2010/10/6 20:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As mentioned, the R6 is not the best choice. It is classified as semi electric and pretty much only has kickdown capabilities. Without a governor, it relies on a centrifugal clutch to determine cut in and drop out speed. Once cut in speed is reached, it pretty much stays in OD.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 20:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Thanks for the information. If I read everyone right once the R-6 is engaged in overdrive it stays in overdrive until the car is stopped and the overdrive disengaged.
At what point do you engage the overdrive when the car is driven, 3rd gear?
It does have an automatic kick-down for passing and mountains, right?
I know i ask a lot of questions but it is a learning experience an your advice is appreciated.
Thanks
John

Posted on: 2010/10/6 21:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
John, I am going to recommend waiting for Peter Packard to chime in on this for further details. He is very knowledgeable on the R-6 and has many miles of use under his belt. I think there is a little more to the R-6 fragility than the operational aspect, but respectfully defer to Peter.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 21:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Not sure if you might consider, but I have a strange quirk for the R-6 overdrives, and if you want a correct unit for your car, an R-9, I would consider a trade. Some say tomayto, some say tomahto...

Posted on: 2010/10/6 22:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
That would be an offer hard to refuse! The R-9 is the correct setup for John's '40

Posted on: 2010/10/6 22:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
That would work. Let me take the top plate off this weekend and inspect to make sure everything is ok. It shifts crisply and the overdrive engagement lever is tight and firm when engaging. Of course it is not installed so all was done by out of the car.
The transmission is complete.
Currently the top plate is set up for a column shift but i can provide a floor shift top plate.
I expect the R-9 be in the same condition and complete.
Just so we both understand that these are used even the best inspections can miss something now and then
Thank you
John

Posted on: 2010/10/6 22:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Jim is correct that the R6 has some peculiar aspects and that the cut-in and cut out speeds are determined by a centrifugal clutch arrangement. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the R6 is more fragile, as it shares the same epicyclic train as the R9 and R11 and was used on the torquey 320cid motor in 1939, it is just more prone to damage if lockout is attempted as per an R9 or R11 OD. The R6 has a throttle actuated automatic kick-down as per the R9 and R11, but the R6 cannot be easily locked out of overdrive after kickdown as can the R9 and R11. The R6 can be locked out of overdrive if accelerating very gently below overdrive engagement speed, or by stopping, engaging reverse gear, depressing the clutch and gently withdrawing the operating cable with the clutch depressed. I am using the R6 on a 1954-327 motor without any problems but I use a button on the dash to initiate kickdown. There are some overdrive aspects not widely recognised including using second gear overdrive to assist the brakes, if caught in the mountains or on a long downgrade in overdrive. Best regards Peter

Posted on: 2010/10/6 23:58
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved