Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Is My 1956 4-Dr Deluxe a "Packard" or "Clipper"
Just popping in
Just popping in

Greg
See User information
The question is for titling purposes. I understand that Clipper is to Packard as Lincoln is to Ford. But since I have never owned a Lincoln (and don't know if the title would say Ford or Lincoln) and only a Ford, I don't know if the title should list Packard/Ford or Clipper/Lincoln.

Thanks
Greg
1956 Packard/Clipper

Posted on: 2007/4/2 14:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Is My 1956 4-Dr Deluxe a "Packard" or "Clipper"
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'll try to take a stab at this, I am sure other will have there own

The 'Clippers' and 'Packards' both fall under being Packards. the 'Packard' line cars were larger, had bigger engines is most cases, and came with better trim, paint, and equiptment options. They were marketed towards the luxury market.

The Clipper line cars was Packard's Medium priced line. I hate to use the anology but you can thing of the 'Packard' line cars are the Lexus's and the 'Clippers' are the Toyota Camery's. Same manufacuturer, but marketed towards a different segment of the market.

Posted on: 2007/4/2 15:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Technically, for 1956 ONLY, the make is a Clipper. Packard was trying to separate the two lines into distinct makes, and for one year, Clipper was on it own, so to speak. Once you get it titled, and it's time to have insurance put on it, have fun, because mine's under "1956 Studebaker/Packard" on my insurance receipt!

Posted on: 2007/4/2 16:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Greg -

Lincoln, though built by Ford Motor Company, would be titled as a "Lincoln" make. A "make" doesn't necessarily correspond to company or division names.

The problem with the Clipper is that it started out in 1941 as a model of Packard, but the Clipper vehicles became the foundation for postwar Packard vehicles. The Clipper model name was dropped for 1948, but reinstated as model name in 1953, as the company was working to make the Junior Clipper line more distinctive from the Senior Packard line, erasing a mistake made many years earlier.

The ultimate goal was to establish Clipper as its own make, and, as Eric points out, that was finally realized in 1956. As noted in the Model Info pages in this site, no Packard script plate graced the exterior of the 56th Series Clipper cars, intitially, but it was later returned to production (on the corner of the trunk lid), with a retrofit offered to owners of those early production units.

I have a seen a 1955 letter sent by the Packard Division of Studebaker-Packard Corp., to all states (and copied to insurance companies and S-P dealers), covering basic registration information. It referred to the "Packard" line and the "Packard Clipper" line, separately, but I think all 1955 Clippers were still titled as Packards. Unfortunately, I have not seen a similar letter for 1956 that could be presented as prima facie evidence to make your case to your titling agency.

So, unless your state is amicable to registering the make as Clipper, you'll probably have to title it as a Packard.

If I find a 1956 edition of that letter, I will donate a copy to the site. Perhaps, then, you will be able to apply for a correction of title.

Posted on: 2007/4/2 18:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Here is from a reference book I have, which lists the Clipper as a seperate brand for 1956, under the Clipper name only.

When Nance became president of Packard in 1952, one of his immediate objectives was to divorce the marque from the medium price field, which hindered rhe luxury Packard's sales performance since WWII. Nance reinvoked the Clipper name as a Packard series in 1953, it was then formally registered as a seperate make for 1956.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/4/2 20:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Greg
See User information
Thank You one and all for your responses. When I first read that the car I had just purchased was possibly not a Packard, I had worries of being the outcast. I understand that I am starting at about as close to the bottom of the Packard pecking order as is possible, but its a start.

Thanks again for the response to only the first of what I can only imagine will be many threads.

Posted on: 2007/4/2 20:17
Greg
'56 Clipper Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Totl production for the Clipper line for 1956, was a little over 21,000 units.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/4/2 20:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Greg -

Some people actually find that the modest side trim of the '56 Deluxe makes for a cleaner appearance. It definitely makes the car more distinctive from the Super sedan, as compared to the '55 versions.

The Deluxe actually had the highest production level of any '56 Packard (or Clipper) - hence, very popular with buyers of the day. In clean, presentable condition, a Clipper Deluxe still stands head and shoulders above many other cars of 1956.

Be sure to enter details and a pic of your car in the Owner Registry section here. Also, check out the Model Info section on the 56th Series (maybe even the 55th Series) for the essential specs and some great info that lets you compare the various models.

Posted on: 2007/4/2 20:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Greg
See User information
Thanks BH. I like the look. My wife says it looks like a turtle. I told her I wouldn't "make" her ride in it then.

Posted on: 2007/4/2 21:05
Greg
'56 Clipper Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
It is a good example of Packard craftsmanship and deserves a place alongside any Packard at a gathering.

Posted on: 2007/4/3 7:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved