Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Off topic posts in threads!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Because of my comments in another thread I've opened this thread to accommodate replies so that thread doesn't go !

Posted on: 2011/1/29 19:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Re: Off topic posts in specific threads!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
I agree..... It be nice to keep them on course.

If someone has to do a search of a forum they don't want to have to weed through all the off topic comments.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 20:18
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THeoretically, structure is good. In the real world it only becomes cencorship. Let the threads flow the way they go.

Or, to put it another way:
THis is an open air public discussion group. Not a private board meeting.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 20:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I agree with you in theory, Keith. It's only natural for an online discussion to wander off-topic.

However, it's "bad form" to ride the coattails of someone else's thread in the "For Sale, Wanted, Trade" forum to hawk other items.

Personally, I think their items would get more attention if they started their own thread.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 21:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
To say it with Yogi Berra (Baseballist), Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut (scientist) and Albert Einstein (physicist), Homer Simpson (Simpsonist or even Simpsonsist) and last but not least Randy Berger (Packardist):

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Used for this particular case I believe that Keith is fighting against narrowing and confinement and for boundless freedom, however, he is anything but known for threat hijacking. That's a philosophical classic of Eristic dialectics: the art of being right.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/1/29 21:59
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One thing is for sure. As long there is an exchange of (reasonable) ideas then any thread stays alive and generates continued dialouge on or off topic. AND keeps the thread current to the extent that it has generated interst. Whether or not any newcomers to the thread actualy start reading at the beginning of the thread is up for debate.

We would all like for forum participation to more closely resemble a professional journal format. True. But forums are an open public discussion. That's why its called the World Wide Web. To the best of my knowledge the Internet has not yet been assigned any Dewey Deciaml number. It is only a cross road of motivated particapants.

Some participants may or may not have good organizational concepts of information arrangemnt. BUT thay have something great to contribute.

All and all and in the end, discussion forums are an informal conversation of sorts. Not a published and edited book.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 22:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Keith, as you know there is no freedom without rules.

There is no freedom without the law.

[Ancient Greek teaching Cecile B. DeMille put into the mouth of Moses on Mount Sinai]

Attach file:

jpg  (64.49 KB)
757_4d44e132e8b8d.jpg 943X935 px

Posted on: 2011/1/29 22:55
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
PackardV8 wrote:Theoretically, structure is good. In the real world it only becomes censorship. Let the threads flow the way they go......
Keith,
Structure is good and I suppose this is what I desire, after all look at my sign off! Kev has provided structure in the Forum setup and within that structure to provide PackardInfo members the means to make their own posts, in particular threads, and to respond to others posts, If we took your hypothesis to the extreme we may as well have just one thread to which everyone contributes.

Quote:
BH wrote:......it's "bad form" to ride the coattails of someone else's thread in the "For Sale, Wanted, Trade" forum to hawk other items.

Personally, I think their items would get more attention if they started their own thread.
Brian,
Also I think that by the two posts being in that thread it rankled with me and set me off on this.

I see though that there has been a response to the 288 oil pan request!

Quote:
Guscha wrote:......Used for this particular case I believe that Keith is fighting against narrowing and confinement and for boundless freedom, however, he is anything but known for threat hijacking. That's a philosophical classic of Eristic dialectics: the art of being right.......
Gerd,

From Keith's many posts I've come to recognise him as a seeker of truth by the way he often tries to draw out more information resulting from the posts of others.

As to "Eristic", maybe you've hit the nail on the head there. My wife often accuses me of being like that. Maybe she's right? As has been remarked about marriage "Do you want to be right? Or do you want to be happy?" I'm still struggling, after 36 years of marriage, of putting that into practice, let alone the theory!

Posted on: 2011/1/29 22:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I am looking for a good Snickerdoodle cookie recipe.

Does anyone know of one?

Posted on: 2011/1/29 23:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Now to get another peeve of mine is posts in the incorrect Forum! There I've got it off my chest!

Posted on: 2011/1/29 23:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved