Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Random questions from a new Packard owner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Hello! So, I just closed the deal on a 1937 Packard 115 touring sedan. I won't be picking it up until March, but here is the deal:

It is running and driving. Needs a headliner, carpet, and probably tires soonest, plus a windshield.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Windshield I can just get cut by a local company (since it's flat glass).

For tires- thoughts? I was looking at Diamondback wide whites. I know whites weren't factory on the 115, but my wife is really excited about white wall tires, and if she's excited about my 75 year old car, so much the better for me. Anybody have different sources? Diamondback sounded pretty good, but I want to shop around.

For headliner and carpet, I was thinking Kantor, but haven't done much research.

Long term-

Was overdrive ever an option on this car? I want to keep it stock, but long-term we'd like to take a few longer (but slower) road trips in the car.

Paint- all my research seems to indicate that this car was only offered with monotone paint. Was two tone ever a factory option? Also, I found a good listing of paint colors on another site, but haven't found anything correlating interior colors with exterior. Anyone have a good resource for that?

I'm really excited about the project, and when I pick it up in a few weeks, I'll get a blog started. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/2/8 15:35
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Re: Random questions from a new Packard owner
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ken Packard, congratulations on your new Packard. These 115Cs are great little cars. I have a set of Diamondback wide white wall radial tires on my Convertible Coupe. They are mounted tubeless, and have given me zero problems. They ride and look great. Mine are Hankooks. I highly recommend them. No two tone paint on these cars, but some nice original colors from which to choose. Overdrive didn't arrive until 1939 along with the steering column shifting. Overdrive would help, but I understand it gets very involved to install on the pre-1938 junior cars. My Six will cruise comfortably at 55-60 mph. Here is a photo of the car. This site is the BEST place to find information on your Packard. Also recommend joining the Packard Automobile Classics (PAC) which also has a very good website and great publications. I am also a member of Packards International. They have great periodical publications. If there is a Packard club in your area, this could be a very rich source of information and social interactions. Also recommend getting maintenance, parts, and owners manuals. Most of them can be downloaded from this site. Good luck, and keep us posted. Do you have any photos?

(o[I]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (41.91 KB)
565_4d51bc4439de2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/8 17:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
JW,

Pics below. I haven't seen it person yet, but I have a trusted agent! Long story short, there are some challenges to having this hobby and being in the military. As you can see in the second pic, I have to finish the roof insert too. One more question- was a remote oil filter standard (i.e. is mine missing) or an option. The engine bay of another 115c showed a remote oil filter on the drivers side front of the motor. Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (35.57 KB)
2964_4d51c07fec726.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (42.79 KB)
2964_4d51c08e3cab9.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (43.95 KB)
2964_4d51c09dacbe9.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (41.24 KB)
2964_4d51c0ab8d292.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2011/2/8 17:16
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Ken, congratulation! Will you restore it in Italy?

Posted on: 2011/2/8 17:59
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Ken Packard wrote:
JW,

Pics below. I haven't seen it person yet, but I have a trusted agent! Long story short, there are some challenges to having this hobby and being in the military. As you can see in the second pic, I have to finish the roof insert too. One more question- was a remote oil filter standard (i.e. is mine missing) or an option. The engine bay of another 115c showed a remote oil filter on the drivers side front of the motor. Thanks!

Ken, Looks like a good solid project car. Oil filters were offered as an accessory, but because of the oiling system on these first sixes they are generally not recommended. Packard used a by-pass system for their oil filters on this engine and its bigger brother the 120. Changing the oil frequently is recommended. The accessory catalog is on this site and you can download it.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/2/8 19:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote: Ken, congratulation! Will you restore it in Italy?

@Guscha- no, I'm headed backed to Groton, CT in just a few weeks. I'll pick the car up in (in Iowa) early March and spend this summer working on it. I don't know where I'll be going come September, so that will determine if I keep working on it or have to park it for a few years

Posted on: 2011/2/9 5:13

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
You must be Navy! I recognize the ports. Kanter is a good one for the carpets. Pretty reasonable-check out their website. Congratulations on your purchase!

Posted on: 2011/2/11 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Thanks for the info David! I had thought Kanter would probably be the place, but wanted to get another opinion. And you're right about the navy- I'm a submariner.

Posted on: 2011/2/12 2:30

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
In another time and dimension, I worked on the SOSUS project, laying cable! You might want to visit with the local Model A club, or check out Model A Times. The A had a roof similar to your 37, and you should be able to get some good practical advice from those guys on how to install the roof without getting puckers or leaks. Good luck on the Packard.

Posted on: 2011/2/12 10:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved