Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 157

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

48-50 hubcap center
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I recently purchased some used replacement hubcaps 48-50 era and one of them has a black hexagon center. I have collected 48-50 Packards for 30+ years and this is the first hubcap I can remember seeing with the black center. I am certain that the paint is original. I am aware that in the early years that dealerships painted the center hexagon red after completing required services and wonder when it became standard to use the red hexagon centers instead of the black. Thank you.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 4:21
 Top  Print 

Re: 48-50 hubcap center
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The first use of red paint in the hub center is generally attributed to the Model S or "24" of 1905, done at Detroit and not at dealerships or branches, as an indication of final inspection. Recently a restored green Twelve was exhibited with green cloisonne hub cap medallions which started considerable debate (without definitive proof one way or the other) about it's authenticity. I'm not aware of any information that any Packard hub cap or hub shell hex was ever other than red as the factory standard, but maybe so. It's possible red was viewed as inappropriate for some funeral service vehicles and Henney or other such coachbuilders might have specified or repainted them black. On the very high end Packards like Twelves there were hubcaps available without any Packard corporate identification for those few elite who wanted a more restrained appearance, so I guess other special requests might have been honored from time to time.

Here's the green cloisonne that spawned so much debate.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.81 KB)
177_4d89fbcc801df.jpg 173X130 px

Posted on: 2011/3/23 8:49
 Top  Print 

Re: 48-50 hubcap center
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Thanks Owen. I never thought about funeral service cars but it makes sense to me.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 9:54
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved