Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Fuel filter element
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Has anyone found a good source or replacmement (EVEN if PAPER type is ok) for the Packard V8 fuel filter ELEMENT???

Posted on: 2007/4/19 19:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel filter element
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
88 F Ranger 2.0 4 cyl gas filter, about $3.29. Air cleaner intake snout must be positioned SLIGHTLY to the right. Very MINOR bending of fuel line required. Rock removed from bowl. All comments and critisizms (originality issue notwithstanding, i already know it's not original) are welcome.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.74 KB)
35_462ac8d6736e3.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2007/4/21 21:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Neat trick.

As an alternative, I wonder if that filter could be installed at the inlet end of the fuel pump for a more discreet appearance.

Posted on: 2007/4/22 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
That is just what I'm looking for at the inlet side of my fuel pump. I have a plastic one there now but this would be better looking. Great idea! if it works.

Posted on: 2007/4/22 12:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Placing filter at the pump creates the possibility of collected dirt flowing back down into the pump and crudding it up. Of course that can happen where i have it mounted too but to a much lesser degree because the filter is mounted horizontal.

ALSO, mounting near the pump would require more effort in terms of plumbing. The filter flow is DIRECTIONAL. Mounting it my way ONLY requires removing the flare fitting that screws into the nipple in the filter body then install the Ford filter and bend the line ever so slightly.
Mounting at the Catrer filter requires NO mofifications to any of the original parts other than deleteing the one fitting as mentioned above and a very slight bend to the fuel line.

Posted on: 2007/4/22 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also when making the modification BE CERTAIN the Fuel line does NOT touch the engine at ANY point EXCEPT for where it screws into fittings at the end. There should be a minimum of 1/32 inch clearence between the line and any other part of the engine.

Posted on: 2007/4/22 21:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think Brian is talking about having the filter before the pump. This keeps the gunk out of the pump. My fuel pump had all kinds of crap clogging the internal brass screen of the pump. The only way to get it clean would be to rebuild the pump. So if the filter was before the pump, it would help to keep the internal pump screen clear.

Not sure if the V8 line routing is the same as the '54s. But I would think the easiest thing would be to cut the flexline in the middle, and put in a flow-thru fuel filter that has a hose type barb connector on each side with a couple of hose-clamps. None of the hardlines would have to be touched, and the only thing that would need to get replaced to put it back stock would be a new flexline.

Anyway thats my

Posted on: 2007/4/23 0:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
PV-8, I have cleaned those ceramic fuel filter elements by blowing compressed air in the opposite direction of the fuel flow (from the inside out) and gotten them quite clean. I used to work at an electronics manufacturing company that had an ultrasonic parts cleaner, for removing flux from circuit boards. I used to clean my ceramic filter element in that cleaner and they came out looking like new!
At that time I had a situation on my hands where my gas tank was quite rusty inside. I was getting a lot of fine rust particles in the pores of the filter element, which was doing its job nicely. What I didn't know was that my lower chamber of my fuel pump was filling up with the BIG rust particles, so much so that one day I couldn't get the car to go more than a mile without conking for lack of fuel. I took the fuel pump apart and the bottom chamber of the pump was filled with brown rust chunks, it looked just like the basket of a coffee maker before you dump it out. I took this to mean that I also had to do something with the tank. After having the tank re-nu process everything got better in a hurry, no more conking out and I didn't have to clean the filter elements as often.

Posted on: 2007/4/23 6:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I use one fuel filter before the fuel pump, in the hose that connects the fuel pump to the steel line. I've never had a problem with my fuel system to date, other than the siphon tube in the tank breaking off, so I had to put a fitting where the drain plug was, and get my fuel from there. Even from sucking on the bottom of the tank, where all the sediment is, I still don't get anything up at the carb. Nice thing about Edelbrock carbs is, there's a small brass screen behind the fuel inlet fitting that you can remove and check for debris, none yet.

Also, no matter what anyone tells you, NEVER use one of those plastic or glass cheapie modern fuel filters on a car!!! It's a fire waiting to happen! I speak from experience on this one!!

Posted on: 2007/4/23 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I tried soaking the ceramic in thinner and back blowing it. Still no good. I'm thinking along the lines of a brass or copper stranded wadding as an element perhaps captured in a fine screen shaped like the ceramic. The wadding could be a one of those pot scrubbers.
OR a stack of thin brass disks with holes in them like were used back in the 30's, 40'and early 50's in some filter applications. Anything. We ought to be able to come up with SOMETHINg to replace the ceramic. I'm wondering if the Ford filter in the pic above could be cut open and the paper element inside used.

Posted on: 2007/5/2 22:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved