Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

This worked well
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Had cause to do a chassis-ectomy on a 51 last week and decided to try a different method to save some labor and minimize handling of large and already nicely painted items like front fenders and hood.

Undid the body bolts as usual, and disconnected linkages and wiring harness from the engine. Removed the floor plate around the pedals and adjusted them to a fully down position. Pulled the pitman arm from the steering gear and unbolted the gear from the frame. Dropped the gas tank and undid another handful of inner fender screws etc. Removed the radiator and heater hoses.

Then I laid 4x4s on my lift arms the full length of the rockers and front fenders and up she came with a singular lack of drama. Seats, steering gear, even the fender skirts still in place. Doors, hood and trunk all open as per normal and the whole process took only 4 hours.

I set the thing back down on another chassis for safe keeping (1/2 hour), but it could just have well been set on a big dolly. I am still giddy about the number of parts I did not have to remove and handle.

Attach file:

jpg  (155.24 KB)
618_4e38f7a812b0a.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (145.54 KB)
618_4e38f7cdcfb58.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (164.29 KB)
618_4e38f7f51ccbc.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (247.25 KB)
618_4e38f8286b15c.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/8/3 2:26
 Top  Print 

Re: This worked well
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
That's cool, Ross! Very cool! Of one were removing the engine/trans would this method be faster than the traditional method?

Posted on: 2011/8/3 4:28
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Ross and Rich, I rub my eyes a bit in disbelief. Does that mean that you usualy disassembled the cars top down to start a frame-off job or what is the traditional method? When I had to do that work my chief interest lay in the pedals, the steering column, the gas tank and the available space around the radiator. In case of pre-war cars often the forward end has to be dismantled separately. All the rest mostly is nothing else than time-sapping dribs and drabs, especially the cable harness. To let the body fly we use a forklift which goes through the open windows. By using a protective rubber cover it doesn't harm a hair on it.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.54 KB)
757_4e39280cc9a92.jpg 495X369 px

Posted on: 2011/8/3 5:50
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
No, no Guscha. Perhaps I should clarify my query. How long in hours does it take to remove just an engine and trans from a postwar straight 8 (removing the hood and using a cherry picker, etc.

It seems like using Ross's method in 4 hours you get very good access to the engine for rebuild/overhaul purposes plus access to the frame for paint/powdercoat all-in one.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 6:04
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
In addition to making the frame pretty and solving some suspension issues, the engine also needed a valve job and detailing. I am responding to customer expectations here, not my own.

The body was to come off in any event. This method saved pulling the front clip, a fair amount more wiring, pulling the steering gear out through the car, and a whole lot of reinstalation/alignment/scratching issues. It would take me as long just to pull the engine and trans by the normal method.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 6:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...This method saved pulling the front clip, a fair amount more wiring, pulling the steering gear out through the car, and a whole lot of reinstalation/alignment/scratching issues. It would take me as long just to pull the engine and trans by the normal method.

I got the message already at the eleventh attempt. "4x4s" are scantlings.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.05 KB)
757_4e393bb1e7dd3.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (28.71 KB)
757_4e393e75e3d84.jpg 500X333 px

Posted on: 2011/8/3 7:14
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
man i wish i had me a shop and a lift!

Hank

Posted on: 2011/8/3 8:53
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Ditto!

Tom

Posted on: 2011/8/3 9:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Looks like it works just fine. Now that i've seen it i can believe it. Otherwise i would have been suspicous that the front sheet metal and grill would have been too heavy to be supported by just the 6 bolts back at the cowl.

Was the radiator and battery removed before lifiting????

Posted on: 2011/8/3 9:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Do you need to worry about any body flex? ...like not being able to open the doors. (not that you would need to) I'm assuming that the only flex you may get is the rockers moving inward or outward slightly, if at all.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 10:56
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved