Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Trans/OD install, 48 Custom
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I had a floor transmission jack with a tilt bed but when that heavy trans was on the jack I couldn't tilt the rear of the trans up again once it was tilted down at the rear using the jack adjuster. I chained a small floor jack to the trans jack and used it to level the trans once the O/D cleared the crossmember. I bought a plastic pilot shaft on the internet. It was for a 1962 Diesel Studebacker! I should have taken pictures but it is a job I want to forget ever attempting. Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
It's been quite a few years since I installed the trans in my '48 Packard Custom, but I had to do it twice -- once to replace the clutch and a second time to remedy a trans+OD problem I wasn't aware of when replacing the clutch. Both times I did it myself with nothing more than a floor jack and jack stands -- being 6'2" and all of 157 lbs. soaking wet. As you probably already know it's much easier to install if the clutch has not been disturbed. Otherwise a dummy pilot shaft is needed to align the friction plate beforehand.

As I recall there was not much needed in the way of moving the engine from normal elevation and the floor of the passenger compartment was not open. I recommend cutting the heads off some long bolts and thread a couple of them into the bell housing as guide pins to support the trans. while moving it into place. Once a couple of real mount bolts are installed the pins can be removed.

I also bench pressed the differential into place myself but I can tell you that took just about everything I had...

Scott

Posted on: 2011/8/7 23:07
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I forgot about the two locating pins. They are essential if doing this by yourself or even with a partner or two.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 8:04

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved