Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1955-56 Factory Air Conditioning
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I totally agree, that AC blower is a PIA where they put it. I had thought about removing it but that meant covering the firewall hole which would have looked terrible so decided to live with it. Originally was going with the NAP unit essentially as is-- just remove it's blower and make a duct over & then make a heater setup. I made a fiberglass duct but after sizing the NAP unit more carefully, I would have had to sacrifice too much glove box. Going anywhere else or with anything else underdash (Classic or Vintage) would have meant sacrificing heater as well for the space. That would mean getting a dual aftermarket unit for Heat/AC which I didn't want to do. Choices were back to make my own to fit with modern stuff.

On the bracket question in the other thread, I had intended to use a spare factory casting but fit a universal Sanden mount to it. AL brought up an interesting scenario in his thread and would like to hear more about what the finds out from his welder.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 13:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, I just finished a job working under the instrument panel of the '55 Clipper. It will be talked about in a future Project Blog. Nothing like being on your back with your head under the panel and trying to do something with your hands and fingers with a light that will not stay in place. What amazes me is that I can still torture myself in this manner. Like Mr. PB says getting down there is not the problem, getting out is. I am afraid if I keep this stuff up I will end up not being able to get out from under. This should prove to be an interesting experience. Till then ...

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/4 16:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Blower motor mounted anywhere interior of the car will prove to be a noisy disenchantment.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 17:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe so, although that NAP unit didn't seem too bad and if I had used it, would have been well up under the dash so somewhat muffled. The exterior blower isn't that quiet either. The air intake thru the single L foot vent is noisy. Fair amount of CFM for a 5" hole and a sharp bend. I believe the air flow convolutions make most of the turbulence and noise.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 17:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have essentially finished the evaporator and inside parts. Modern parts throughout with temp control instead of the factory fixed temp. Decided to work the thermostat via cable with the existing heat control lever for now--trying a shared function with heater thermostat so will see how it works out. If not satisfactory, made it so it can be easily changed to a second version of that dual function single dash control knob I posted earlier. New wiring loom is in the works as well.

Don't think it turned out too badly & made everything to match factory look as close as possible. The rubber foam vertical supply ducts turned out quite decent. Defroster duct was a bit harder because I couldn't mold the cardboard in sharp angles like the original--so layered thin pieces and is not quite as pretty. Might even try the cast foam on that. Have a throwaway version of the dash vent bases on the verticals to check fit but still not satisfied with amount of finish work needed on either those or the louver pieces. Am thinking new molds are in order for different venting and pour angles so will think about those some more.

Engine components are next. Have adapted a cast factory compressor mount for the Sanden so when the carpet arrives in the next week or so and evaporator installed, will start on the mechanicals.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.49 KB)
209_4e600890dda82.jpg 640X330 px

jpg  (22.52 KB)
209_4e60089b66496.jpg 640X273 px

jpg  (32.82 KB)
209_4e6008aea2a41.jpg 640X470 px

Posted on: 2011/9/1 17:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was a question or discussion on aftermarket condensers and their size & mounting vs the factory originals some time back.

Here is one idea. Started by making brackets which somewhat duplicate factory look and then mounted condenser using existing holes. Dimensions of those brackets are available if anyone is interested.

In my project, because of how hoses exit most of the new aftermarket condensers and the shape of the Packard fender & radiator splasher area, decided on this 16x22 from Nostalgic Air. The factory original condenser is shown for comparison. This version might give an idea of one possibility to anyone contemplating add on air so I also included Nostalgic Airs basic information to compare with any other mfgs items. Due to various limitations, this is the largest unit I was comfortable with using -- Although it is slightly smaller than factory unit in dimension, the actual fin area may be close since they are closer together.

At any rate, since exits are to the side instead of vertical, I felt this gave the best access and tube routing to keep components in the same factory areas and paths.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.14 KB)
209_4e7f8c4deeb0e.jpg 689X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/9/25 15:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Howard, I came accross a website which indicates, that the thoughts of its owner partially circles around Packard A/C. He is mentioned in the member registry since a few days. Don't know if you would like to pursue this lead.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.96 KB)
757_5473d0c1511a9.jpg 826X399 px

Posted on: 2014/11/23 19:15
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, Gerd. The 56 AC repro I show in process in the photos above when starting the thread is comlete and functional now. Have the old original unit on a shelf with a couple of wounded compressors. Started repro'ing a 54 unit years ago when I owned the Pacific. The evaporator unit and interior stuff was complete but I didn't find a compressor I liked at the time so it never was finished or operational. The car is owned by a friend now and still the way it was when I let the car go. Currently working on AC for the 47 but haven't been that active on the car or project lately.

There is a slight error in the knob functions on the 53-4 AC Control description from the website. You can barely see the mention in the screen capture photo above since it is partially covered but visiting the page you can see the full paragraph. I tried to send an email to the webmaster and mention it. Unfortunately my feeble eyes don't work with his security characters so no cigar there. Basically the error is the knobs on the operator control have nothing to do with air scoops. Those are entirely controlled by the two knobs on the package shelf.

Posted on: 2014/11/23 19:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The photos that were posted from my site (without asking) can be found on the Packards / Imperials Page in the Photo Albums section and are of the trunk mounted '53 - '54 models while the '55 - '56 models were dash mounted unless dealer installed. I have a complete dash unit for my '56 Clipper Custom that was from an Executive Sedan.

Anyway, I am interested I anything to do with these reproductions for '53-'54 and '55-'56 as I have several Packards myself that could use one. I have a '53 dealer-installed unit complete with the clear plastic tubes but, of course, it is quite different.

As for the dash controls, I believe you are correct and I had made an assumption based on the parts book description of the components. Also, there are differences between the '53 and '54 units themselves but having never owned one, I can't say for sure what those differences are.

Posted on: 2014/11/23 23:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Howard, it's good to hear, that the A/C is complete and functional now. Even cars in Germany, in a zone of moderate summery temperatures have A/C, albeit with a distance of time of half a century. A car without A/C in your neck of the woods doesn't bear contemplating.
The above shown preview of photographs rather accidentally supply the background of the screenshot when unfolding the menu to show you the right way to the recommended part of this website.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 19:32
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved