Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 152

BigKev, Tom (Packin31), TxGoat, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'48 Packard Exhaust Pipe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
I have preformed replacement exhaust system for my 1948 Packard Custom. Does anyone know the trick to getting the front section of pipe (header pipe) installed through the frame? It seems the engine has to be out of the way, which is a bit extreme.

Posted on: 2011/10/29 19:40
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: '48 Packard Exhaust Pipe
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had to replace the exhaust pipe (manifold to muffler) on my '47 Custom Clipper. The replacement pipe would not fit through the frame. After a second pipe was provided, with the same results, I ended up cutting one of the pipes into two pieces and then splicing them together after installation. Not a satisfactory solution, but it worked.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/29 21:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The same thing happened to me when I replaced the exhaust system on my 1950 23rd series Deluxe 8. Funny thing was that I was able to snake the old pipe out without cutting it. There must have been a tiny difference between the old and new pipes.

Posted on: 2011/10/29 23:52
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
I had to cut the old header pipe out, which wasn't original. What was in there was smaller diameter (same as the aft exhaust pipe with a non-stock muffler) and had been installed in two pieces rather than one. Even though it was smaller diameter I couldn't remove it without cutting it ahead of the frame. I do have the manifolds off to replace the gaskets (exhaust leaks prompted this little project), but that doesn't seem to help.

BTW, the manifold gaskets that were there were the flat sheet type and what I am going to install are the individual circular ring type. Any tips? I'm assuming the ring type are original on the 356ci and the flat ones were aftermarket. Is that correct?

Posted on: 2011/10/30 9:20
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I purchased an exhaust system for my '50 Custom from Klasskollection and had it installed by a local muffler shop. They managed to install it without cutting or re-bending. I wasn't there to see how they did it so I'm not much help.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 10:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It has been ages since I did one of those, but I think the muffler has to be out, splash pan off, and the pipe fed through from the back.

The manual has an interesting tip on how to center the exhaust in the frame to avoid rattles. Check it out.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 10:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
I found the right combination. The header pipe does fit through the frame from the rear despite the large flange. The steering idler arm has to be disconnected from the frame and dropped down out of the way. That provides just enough clearance, barely, to snake the pipe into position.

Now to reinstall the manifold. Any tips to ensure a good long-term seal?

Posted on: 2011/10/30 18:21
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With the manifolds bolted together as an assembly, check the faces with a good straightedge. Often warpage has taken place and if significant, a resurfacing (again, as an assembly) may be called for.

I suspect the OEM-style steel sandwich gaskets may be a bit more forgiving than the modern soft composite type.

Use a torque wrench where possible, and retorque after a few hours of service.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 20:56
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
FYI - The PI So Cal chapter reproduces the perforated metal-sandwich style gaskets.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 10:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved