Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: cold starting problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
By the way, Owen, where did you find a 6 volt with that many CCA's? The one I just bought has 725. It was the best one that National Battery had.

From either NAPA or Delco. But it's very large truck/bus and commercial battery, it matches the original size of the OEM batteries for underseat mounting on senior Packards thru 1936 and perhaps later but is probably too large to fit other models, especially those with underhood batteries. It's a NAPA 7212 or Delco 717A. These #s may no longer be current. I've had great success with these, generally lasting at least 8 years and often more.

PS - just checked the NAPA online store. The BAT 7212 is still an active #, 1170 CCA @ 32 deg. F.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
hey no cold start ,try looking at the 2 coil wires ,The positive ground car should have the positive wire from the coil running to the ground on the distributer not the negative one .The coil hooked up backward (normal for a "normal car")will still work but not as well and youll notice it when trying to cold start ,if it makes you fell any better mine won't hot start !

Posted on: 2011/11/11 7:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Steve, You are correct an coil connected incorrectly can affect engine starting and performance. I would have said it a bit differently: For a vehicle with a positive grounded electrical system the positive marked terminal on the coil should be connected to the distributor, not the distributor ground. I understand what you were saying, but others may not.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/11/11 10:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
BINGO! I just went out, put in the key and WOW! She started up first try, no pumping, no starting fluid, no cussing... For future reference: A battery with 640 CCA's is NOT suitable for an eight cylinder engine! Thanks all!

Scott

Posted on: 2011/11/11 13:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to hear the battery solved the problem. 640 must be a little too low for that big engine. Optima and Interstate have an 800 but think that is about the limit for anything that would fit the 51-4 holder--not even sure about the Interstate since it's about an inch larger than their 725. I've been using the Optima 12v for several years and so far, with the infrequent use and relative lack of care, it has lasted longer than any of my conventional types did. The 800 Optima 6v would probably be just as good and with the fake cover, not too noticeable for anyone contemplating.

Maybe there is a chart somewhere but it would be nice to be able to directly correlate Packards use of the amp hour spec to the CCA capacity most use today. One is max output for 30 seconds at 0 degrees while other is sustained output over many hours at normal temp. Not quite apples to apples. I guess just continue buying the biggest that will fit will always work.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 13:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just went a checked the CCA for the long, thin 6-volt battery as used by Packard 46-50 and prewar Clippers. These batteries easily crank even the large 356 engine in the depth of winter so they must be more than adequate. NAPA's is 1035 CCA @ 32 deg F.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 14:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
I use the same NAPA 7212 battery that O-D uses.
Turns right over for my 40/356.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 17:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
CURRENT BATTERY DIMENSIONS: The battery for the Duchess went dead while I was out of town for a week. I bought it 4 years ago in July 2007. It is a Vintage Diehard from Sears, a Group 1 battery L 9-1/8 x W 7-1/8 x H 9-3/8.

BATTERY BOX AREA DIMENSIONS: I measured my battery OPENING (box length is actually shorter) and depth of my battery box, an original which my son repaired by welding on a new floor. It measures L 11 x W 7-1/4 x H 9-3/8.

REPLACEMENT BATTERY: So I want a replacement and a Group 2 battery seems like the ideal size for the battery box area: L 10-3/8 x W 7-1/8 x H 9-3/8.

I went to NAPA and they had the above mentioned 7212 in stock.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=BAT+7212&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=BAT+7212&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0
BUT it is a BCI Group 4 battery which measures 20-3/4 x 8-3/4 x 9-7/8 which is too long, too wide and too tall to fit in my 1940 1803.

Here are the BCI sizes for various groups. 6 volt batteries are near the bottom.http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html

So I'm wondering if the size has changed for the 7212, or if there is an alternate size. The Delco 717A is also a Group 4 battery.
http://www.battery-usa.com/AC_Delco_Professional_Series.htm

What am I doing wrong before I plunk out $109 for a 7212?

Posted on: 2011/11/14 22:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Suggest you try another NAPA store or a different counter man, there is some sort of mistake. The 7212 fits neatly in the underseat battery box of most prewar seniors. As Al said, he's got one in his 40 180.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 23:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Anticipating a need for a battery in the future, I called my local NAPA store in Vancouver, WA., and was told they do not stock a 6 volt auto battery, when asked "why", he replied that it's not a "big money maker". Additionally, they can not order them. So be sure to check more than one store to get correct information. My experience with this store is: A lazy store with lazy employees.

Posted on: 2011/11/15 14:52
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved