Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 144

humanpotatohybrid, tuskman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

V8 Lifting Points
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Thinking about pulling the motor in the 55 Clipper and I was wondering where to lift from.

Note: I'll be pulling the motor and trans together (body is off the frame)

Usually on a small block chevy I'd put a chain on a couple head bolts or lift with a plate on the carb mounts. Not sure if this motor is too heavy for a carb plate.

Please educate me.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/4/13 15:18
 Top  Print 

Re: V8 Lifting Points
Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
A 3/8 bolt of general grade is made from 60,000 tensil strength steel. The minor diameter is 5/16. That figures out to have a yield point of about 4500 pounds each.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 15:27
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Keegan,

It has been a long time ago, but I think we took the intake manifold off and went to the heads and pulled the engine and transmission at one time.

Maybe Ross can tell us what he does.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 15:36
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check the shop manual. I am sure there are pics of them removing a motor with a lift plate or something.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 16:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
BigKev,

READ the manual, isn't that against the man rules somewhere?

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect09_Engine.pdf

OK, maybe not against the Packard man rules

Posted on: 2012/4/13 16:36
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
page 10 gives the answer

Posted on: 2012/4/13 16:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Thanks Kev for the reference material!

Posted on: 2012/4/14 14:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I have a plate that is drilled for both the two and four barrel carbs and has a heavy piece of flat stock welded along the center to attach the clevis. There are multiple holes in that flat stock to balance either just engine, engine and tranny, or engine plus cast iron tranny.

Posted on: 2012/4/14 19:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Keegan,

It can be done! Follow the service manual and it walks you through step by step. As many here know; I removed that engine by myself, which was much to the astonishment of my bride. I'll not soon forget the evening that she walked into the garage and asked, "what the hell are you doing?" I calmly said I was "just" removing the engine. ( I think when was checked, she was actually checking to see if she needed to call 911) ... The point of my story is that when I started my rebuild, I had my pop in law .... but ...then he passed unexpectedly and then it was all on me. Frankly, along the way, I had the help of many....but snatching that engine from the Packard on that day was all ME! My advice.......read the manual 20X and know it by heart when you start the removal. If I did, just about all others in this world of ours can do it too! Good luck and have some fun.

Attach file:

jpg  (147.35 KB)
20_4f8a1fef9f5f7.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (137.21 KB)
20_4f8a20000ec4d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (98.54 KB)
20_4f8a2013d187f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (152.63 KB)
20_4f8a20265a53b.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (152.96 KB)
20_4f8a203f2902c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/4/14 20:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Good to hear from you on this Clipper again, Keegan!

Did you pull the chassis into the shop or are you going to lift the engine out in the parking lot and haul it in?

The only advice I have in lifting is, balance is the key, especially with the trans attached.

Since the body is removed, there won't be much need to tip and maneuver the whole works out, but the balance point will be a lot different. You'll probably need to rig an extra chain to cradle under the back of the block ahead of the bell housing, or you might have to lift it awful high to keep the tail shaft off the ground.

Let me know if you need some help or would rather have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, which seems to be of considerable value in other folks' experience. Me, I like help, if only to have someone else to blame, but my dad loved to show off what he could move "all by [him]self."

Posted on: 2012/4/15 15:26
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved