Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
47 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: V12 Engine rebuild advice
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Tim, thanks a million.....................there was a bearing shop in L.A. that did the babbitt, Globe Bearing,,and i believe he did it for egge. closed now.

Do you know about what dale charges?,, also wally karr, babbitts..he spins them, which you need to do to keep the heat, alot of the shops pour them, but trying to keep the shell hot, is a hit and miss. spinning you can control the heat better.

how do contact dennis..

thanks rik

i am thinking writing dale and see if he would finish my shells,,,i guess both, org. and the ones i will make out al. bronze, i can turn them, snd even make a jig to flange them. have him do the rest. but it is probaly more trouble for him.

thanks tim

rik

Attach file:

jpg  (98.68 KB)
4498_4f8e30a4071fb.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/4/17 22:10
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
tim,,thats a lionel (mth) standard ga engine, i made, i clicked on wrong pic...i made the engine block, only berkshire std around, trailing truck...its not packard related,,,its an oops...

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/17 22:14
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks, Rodger i will,,

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/18 7:37
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Paul's Rod & Bearing does excellent babbitt work and has been used by several of the best engine restoration shops. I think he's down in Arkansas or thereabouts.

Though I know it's not the ideal solution, I do know of many Packard Twelves and post-35 Eights and Super Eights happily running on rebabbitted shells. Perhaps there is some special technique that's required, the absence of which explains those failures with this technique. Still, I'd only do it if there were no other reasonable alternatives.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 8:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Riki, not to worry about the picture. Anyone who likes toy trains can't be all bad.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 8:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
thanks..owen..randy.. pauls is in kan. or mo. i think i called him. rebabbits the rod..not the shells..

i will trade these rods ..for std. rods if they are around..std::used in good shape..can't afford complete engine..i would complete spare eng...but..people dob't want to piece them out. w

which is good...

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/18 10:57
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
thanks..owen..randy.. pauls is in kan. or mo. i think i called him. rebabbits the rod..not the shells..

i will trade these rods ..for std. rods if they are around..std::used in good shape..can't afford complete engine..i would complete spare eng...but..people dob't want to piece them out. w

which is good...

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/18 10:58
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
I second Rogers reccomendation of Brian Joseph, he's got my 1930 standard eight right now and has been a pleasure to work with.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I agree with Owen.Steve Babinsky is the man when it comes to rebuilding Packard 12's.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear rikki:

The reason I would balk at reusing old rod bearing shells is the issue of bearing crush. From a theoretical standpoint just unbolting rod bearings for inspection shouldn't be done because it can upset the crush fit of a bearing.

Anyway, it was my understanding that the EGGE merchandise always was the spun process.

I haven't spoken to Dale in quite awhile, but he was doing a run of Packard 12 motors. His bearings fit original rods and I don't think he is involved in connecting rod reconditioning. If you really don't want the babbited rods then the next move is to have your rods set up for a modern insert. What that entails is having your rods welded and machined so that the side clearance matches a modern engine the same way as a V-8. I'm not sure if they can resize the hole. The plan may become to fit inserts to your rods and then rebuild the crank.

Now purists will cry about not having babbited thrust surfaces on the connecting rod, but there are sound engineering principles involved in doing away with that and one of them involves why the Packard Company was having problems with rod bearing failure in the V-12. A narrower bearing is actually superior.

It depends on what you plan to do with the car. The laundry list can get pretty long and if your goal is occasional use under moderate service (45-50 mph) then that is a lot different than driving the thing from New York to Paris. One thing to put before this rod bearing stuff is having your oil pump bushings redone. They can suck air and cause oil foaming. Also if your cylinder heads have been milled to many times that is another issue. Yet another is the fact that these motor blocks are erroded and may not tolerate severe usage so spending a fortune on rod bearings may be a waste of money.

The future for the Packard 12 is that one day the water jackets will begin to seep coolant into the crankcase. So enjoy them while you can.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 17:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved