Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 165

Scott, Packard Don, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Patrician seat belts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 Quote:
The 400 is more difficult because there is nothing to support the shoulder harness except the metal under the rear window.

This is also true of the 2dr HT Clippers, convertibles, etc. In my Panther (56 2dr HT Clipper) I decided to install a steel roll bar with front and rear diagonal side bars. The roll bar part will be behind the front bucket seats and will provide the attachments for the shoulder belts.

As an additional feature, the front diagonal side bars will be pivoted at the front and pinned at the roll bar to provide side (front door) impact protection for the passengers while allowing easy ingress/egress, i.e., the side bar follows the door opening arc.

The rear diagonal side bars provide triangulation strength for the roll bar in case Panther ends up on it's lid (god forbid).

This configuration is pretty standard in the high performance street car (restomod) world, so parts are readily available and not that expensive.

I realize that a roll bar is an "extreme solution", but I thought I would put it out there.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/12/2 2:12
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
You can check my project blog or look for the bit I posted in the Postwar section where I described how I mounted my retractable front belts. Not saying it is the best solution but it's what I decided on, and I am happy with the fit and finish of the installation.

I have been pondering what to do about rear seat belts, the easiest would be to do simple lap belts. But if you wanted shoulder belts I think you could fit the retract unit to the rear shelf, with some structure added underneath (inside the trunk) for strength. I'm not sure if the geometry is correct but I think it wouldn't be too tough to do the installation. Look at these belts and picture the retract unit mounted on the rear shelf with the belt feeding over the shoulder.
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/noname.html

Again, if I did this setup I'd build some strength inside the trunk, like a square steel tube across and under the shelf to bolt the units to, maybe with some vertical steel members from that tube down to the trunk floor and welded or bolted to transfer the load to the floor. Just thinking so far.

As has been pointed out, the weakest link in the back is that the seat isn't really attached to the car, so the belts would be the strongest point and the seats would tear loose easily in a crash. Belts in this case would mainly serve to keep the occupants tethered to the car to prevent ejection, which is the main killer anyway. Some injury probably would occur from the seat going with you during the impact.

Posted on: 2015/12/3 1:23
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mark Sherman
See User information
Thanks Folks for all the feedback. I knew about the plates (was old enough to have installed belts in my Dad's 1956 plane gray 56 Ford two door post car years ago). I think I'll forgo shoulder belts and just do the lap belts. Try to keep it a little more period looking.

Posted on: 2015/12/4 14:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved