Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 184

Chuck McDonald, Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Trailer for Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Fred, most "newer" trucks with a trailer/tow package have a dedicated charging wire in the trailer harness to keep aux batteries in the trailer or camper charged.

Of course this only comes to play when the trailer is attached. I like the idea of a solar charger for when the trailer sits idle.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 15:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Just as a note... The haulers for the auto manufacturers put the cars in park, with the parking brake on. A manual trans is put in reverse with the brake on also.

But I guess that someone can question the drivelines on the older cars.

For me personally, if I ever had straps snap, come loose, or unhook, I would prefer the "pig" on my "rig" (as we call it) to be in gear (beyond a parking brake). I feel a little bit safer with that. Just my opinion.

Good luck,

Mark

Posted on: 2012/1/27 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

D-train wrote:
Just as a note... The haulers for the auto manufacturers put the cars in park, with the parking brake on. A manual trans is put in reverse with the brake on also.

But I guess that someone can question the drivelines on the older cars.

For me personally, if I ever had straps snap, come loose, or unhook, I would prefer the "pig" on my "rig" (as we call it) to be in gear (beyond a parking brake). I feel a little bit safer with that. Just my opinion.

Good luck,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I believe most new car transporters use chains & binders attached to engineered anchor points on the frame (or underbody) of modern cars. This cinches them down tight and so little movement is possible that I doubt that driveline strain or loading would be a problem. Without those anchor points, we are pretty much limited to using the axles as tie-down points on our older cars. As well as HD ratchet straps, I always set one safety chain front & rear with a few inches of slack in it.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 21:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved