Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 37 »

Re: Randy Berger's 1956 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
What are those round things setting on top of the boxes in the LAST pic??

As any engine man can tell you, they're cam bearings. The little one to the rear is the rear most cam bearing.

Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
All valve seals will be replaced. Perhaps I don't understand the question??

Posted on: 2008/1/7 0:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I assume original valve seals will NOT be used??? Unless someone is reproducing them. The original has somekind of vulcanized seal on the retaining collar or that's the way it appears to me to be.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 11:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have original valve seals which look like closed umbrellas to me, but I don't see that any part is much different. It all looks like cured rubber to me with a small skirt.
I may have them check to see if the valve spring seat is made of hardened metal which was mentioned in a TSB or SC article.
You can't file them.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 12:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. There is the Umbrella too. There should ALSO be a neoprene seal on the valve spring retaining collar directly at the hole in the collar that the stem of the valve passes thru.

Posted on: 2008/1/8 6:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The new hardened valve seat spring retainers should have the neoprene seal that you mention. I have those on my 400. Wonder of wonders I have a forged crank! The part number 440989 can plainly be seen.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.48 KB)
23_478998c48f824.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2008/1/12 23:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Look at the rod journals on your forged crank. They should be SOLID weher the NONforged crank is hollow.

Posted on: 2008/1/13 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Where did u find the new hardened valve retainers???

Posted on: 2008/1/13 8:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I also located this notation in amongst some tranny parts.
TORQUE CONVERTER -1956 PACKARD
AND CLIPPER, 1956 STUDEBAKER
GOLDEN HAWK MODELS
Please record this article on the Service Bulletin reference page at the end of the Ultramatic transmission section of your 1956 Studebaker Passenger Car Shop Manual and in the Ultramatic section of your 1955-1956 Packard Service Manual.
To control the end play of the converter unit within the proper limits for a longer period thereby insuring longer service, it is recommended that the Wave Washer, Part No. 6479191. be omitted when the converters of the 1956 Packard, Clipper and Studebaker Golden Hawk are serviced. It is suggested that tbe converters be reassembled as follows:
1. Omit Wave Washer. Part No. 6479191.
2. Part No.6480810. Reactor spacer (.674?
wide) be replaced by Part No.450209,
Reactor Spacer (.700" wide).
3. Check end play in the same way as previously performed, making no allowance for the Wave Washer as thickness is included 1n the width of the Spacer, Part No.450209. The end
play limits remain at .010? to .017".
When a converter Assembly, Part No.6489485,is supplied without the Wave Washer and assembled accordingly, it will be identified with a daub of red paint near the drain plug. It 1s suggested that replacement units not bearing the red identification mark be modified as described above before being put into service.
Converter Assembly, Part No.6489485, supersedes converter Assemblies, Part Nos. 6479085 and 6479086.

Posted on: 2008/1/13 20:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had to order a new piston for the Ultramatic rear brake and wonder of wonders Max had the rivet that connects the manual valve to the control link. My friend Ron may go back into repairing Ultramatics if he can rig up a test stand to verify pressures and shifting points. He rebuilt mine in '91 and I've put many miles on it since. I am buying relined bands and clutch and kit from Peter Fitch who says he is retiring.
It sounds like the engine will be done next week and I can drive to NJ and pick it up. Once I get it back here I can schedule my eye surgery as I am not allowed to lift or strain in any way for a good while after the surgery.
I picked up some good chassis black paint from friend Mike D. It is SEM 39144 and has been on the inner fenders etc. of his Camaro for 20+ years. I need to paint the air cleaner and core support. Also the heater box.
Keith, The friend who is ramrodding the engine rebuild in NJ bought the hardened valve spring seats for me - I don't know where, but probably Kanter. Two days ago while looking for some other parts I found eight 1955 spring seats and eight 1956 hardened seats. They both have neoprene molded on the tips that slide over the valve stem. I keep finding parts I had stashed away years ago It almost seems like Christmas again.

Posted on: 2008/2/2 2:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 37 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved