Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 202

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Getting young help on your project`
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
RogerDetroit Quote:
My younger brother teaches Automotive at a local junior college and I asked him why younger kids are not working on older cars. He said that the school discovered that none of our old cars fit the what is taught to work on modern cars. Remember the purpose of the school to train the students for a job in a dealership and make a living.

What modern car has a carburetor?
What modern car has drum brakes that need adjusting to avoid pulling or drag?
What modern car has a distributor you can work on?
Points? Condensers? Use of a timing light? Dwell meter?

All of what you say is true, EXCEPT that there now many restoration and customization shops around that do work on older cars. That is what I explained to the local HS Auto Shop teacher. He was enthusiastic over the phone.

Another thing to consider is that this is my Panther project. It has 4-wheel disc brakes (no ABS), an electronic distributor and some other modern goodies in addition to a Packard V-8, manual trans, some minor customization of the body, etc. So for a young person looking to get into the resto and custom side of the business, it's spot-on.

I'll keep everyone informed as to how this is working out.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/12/10 18:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved