Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 161

remi, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: How to add a PCV Valve to a 1949 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The original system works very well.

If you have excess blowby due to engine problems, you will have issues whether you use a PCV or the stock system.

I've driven old junk cars with PCV systems that could not cope with the blowby. I've put 3/4 heater hose on the oil filler cap to act as a road draft tube to keep the fumes out of the vheicle. I've seen old cars with PVC systems that would accumulate liquid oil in the air filter.

I've considered putting a PCV on a Model T Ford in order to keep road dust out of the engine and provide better crankcase ventilation. The T has no crankcase ventilation system.

The typical T carburetor has an adjustable main jet, but no idle mixture adjustment. That would probably be an issue.

Posted on: 2023/8/6 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Old cars that are in good condition and kept well tuned do not emit huge amounts of pollutants.

Older, lower compression engines do not emit significant amounts of NOX, and a well tuned engine in good condition will not emit huge amounts of unburned fuel.

Leaded fuel, unfortunately, is not available in the Land of The Free.

Fuel systems on old cars will emit fuel vapor in hot weather.

This could be minimized, at considerable expense, by converting to fuel injection and a closed, non-vented fuel system.

The best course is to get your older car in the best condition you can, and keep it well tuned. Be sure that automatic chokes, thermostats, manifold heat systems, etc, are working properly.

Beyond that, don't start the car unless you are going to drive it, preferably for 10 miles or more. Emissions are lowest and fuel mileage the highest when the engine and driveline are fully warmed up and operating on the highway or in light traffic at moderate speeds.

A car in good condition and proper adjustment does not need more than 1 or 2 minutes of "warm up" even in cold weather. Excess warmup is wasteful and detrimental to the engine.

Habits that contribute to minimal emissions and maximum fuel mileage also contribute to long, trouble-free vehicle life.

Posted on: 2023/8/6 10:50
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I think keeping your vehicle maintained is always the best answer. If your engine is just plain worn out, then that's the problem, not the original design.

Posted on: 2023/8/6 12:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved