Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 234

ElGroucho, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »

Re: Packard TSB 56T-20 - Low Oil Pressure
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jed. When u get a chance remove the vacuum pump from the Aller pump. Remove the drive gear and shaft. Myself and i'm sure BH would like to see what kind of bushing is in the pump that the driving shaft passes thru. Is the bushing oil grooved?

Maybe a pic of the inside cavity of the oil pump with gears removed.

If u have a micrometer measure the diameter of the shaft.
A pic of the gears would be nice too.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 20:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I was just watching a show on the SCI channel called "First on the Moon: The untold story" about the Apollo 11 landing. During the final landing phase, the onboard LEM computer kept popping up with alarms rather than doing it's job because it did not have enough capacity. Armstrong and Aldrin landed anyway by the "skin of their teeth" with 15 seconds of fuel left.

This, of course, is a real and great story. But it reminds me of this "discussion" we've been having about the oil pump. Those who are advocating keeping and repairing the original Packard V-8 oil pump might likely also be advocating keeping the same computer in the LEM "because it worked, didn't it, at least this time!" That computer had the power of today's digital wrist watch. Almost any later computer was much better and more powerful. Likewise, an Olds high volume oil pump from 20 years later is much better than the original Packard oil pump.

Keep the original at the peril of losing your expensive engine, rebuilt or not.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/10/27 20:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Sometimes telling the purists on how they can improve and save their cars is akin to telling a child not to put a knife into an outlet. You can tell them over and over, but until they learn on their own they'll never know.

Mark my word, and heed my advice. If you rebuild a Packard V8, and use the stock pump in the stock configuration, my words will be in the back of your mind when it grenades saying "I told you so....".

Posted on: 2009/10/27 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Eric: The three of you certainly came up with a modern solution to an age old problem the plagued the early Packard V8's. You and Craig also know that there were other problems with the early V8s' that also contributed to the lifter noise problem.

Like BH I am only pointing out that not all Packards of 55 & 56 were plagued with the problem.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/10/27 20:48
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And that there is the TRUE mystery of the whole problem, isn't it?

Posted on: 2009/10/27 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Eric. Craig. Are u gentlemen forgetting that I AM RUNNING THE OLDS conversion??? IN FACT, I AM the FIRST to put the Olds conversion into ACTUAL OPERATION.

My interest in the Aller pump is strictly academic. There are many other problems with the Packard V8 oiling system too.

Aller was a Zone rep for Packard. Lets see what HE KNEW from the factory that the factory never told anyone else about the pump.

I mean jesus christ, what can it hurt to study Allers work?????

Posted on: 2009/10/27 20:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
No Keith, I'm not forgetting that you helped considerably and are the first to put it to use. My main problem with all this came with this post:
Quote:
Eric, How nice of you to post a picture of yourself, although the humane society might take a dim view of it.

That's when I got pissed off.

So by all means gather all the information you can on the Aller pump modification, it still won't change the fact that WE came up with a better solution than a Packard rep and the Packard engineers. It's just too bad they didn't have more years to solve the problem, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Eric writes:

"it still won't change the fact that WE came up with a better solution than a Packard rep and the Packard engineers."

TRUE! Very true!

I'm guessing that if we study Allers work we will be even more convinced that the pump AS IT CAME from the faCTORY was even more insufficient than we realize now. And will enlighten everyone further more that the Olds conversion is superior to ANY Packard pump, rebuild, "redesigned" or otherwise..

Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
OK, guys, I'll take the Aller pump apart this weekend and post some pictures. I guess I'm interested in knowing how Bob rebuilt them and especially why mine pumped more air than oil. But I have the olds pump in my engine now and after an engine rebuild caused by a rebuilt Packard pump I highly recommend the Olds kit.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 5:00
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How many miles did the FIRST engine overhaul last until it went bad????? How often did the lifter clatter occur in it after the first overhaul.

Again, there were other oil delivery problems with the Packard V8 engine. The pump was definately a problem area to start.

The reason we want to diagnose your experience with this situation is incase YOU or anyone else builds another engine. Very likely that you might get a second Packard???? We don't want it to happen a second time. It's called objective critical analysis. Lets see what happened!

Posted on: 2009/10/28 7:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved