Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: R9 Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If Tim's suggestion doesn't work, it is still possible to effect most overdrive repairs in the car.

After removing the driveshaft and the rearmost crossmember it is possible to remove the overdrive housing. Its a bit fiddly to get that out and back, but then after that the rest of the components can be dealt with as need be.

If you go that route be careful to catch all your freewheel rollers as you pull the housing back.

Removing the whole transmission may seem appealing but on 39-50 cars it is one of the most frustrating jobs imaginable, especially if you are working on jackstands.

And not to seem to nag, but you are certain the solenoid has actually engaged the pawl and is not sitting on top of it?

Posted on: 2012/8/12 6:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I agree with Ross, but doing it in the car is something an experienced person should handle because of the dexterity required. I have seen people run through every curse word in the book doing it in the car. I know a few foreign curse words which helps. However, somebody experienced with modern car tranmissions should be able to grasp the operation and do it on a lift. Of course, in the absense of a video, the only way to learn is by trying so why not have at it. The worst that can happen is you end up taking the trans out as well.

You will know if the car is fixed if the tailshaft locks in OD and freewheels otherwise.

Posted on: 2012/8/12 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
...You will know if the car is fixed if the tailshaft locks in OD and freewheels otherwise.

Tim, would not it be the opposite (i.e., freewheels in od)?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/12 11:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Ross-when I put the solenoid back in-I pulled on it several times-I could feel the spring in the solenoid being compressed-that coupled with Mark Lamberts assessment that the problem is within the OD unit. He goes on to say problem is not in the external components. Pulling the transmission is beyond my capability. Car runs fine but no OD.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 9:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear 1949:

How the unit tests on the bench goes like this:

Hold the input shaft with one hand.

When a gear selection is engaged the overrunning clutch will allow the tailshaft to freewheel in one direction.

When the overdrive pawl is manually engaged the tailshaft will be locked to the input shaft.

Thus, if you can't do this manual test the blocker ring is probably stuck which prevents the pawl from engaging the overdrive.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 9:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved