Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 40

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

Re: Legit Question: Not in X-Ref
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My number is the 5697-xxxx since the body number was also the motor number in 55-6 and other than thief proof, the only one on the car.

Yours has a motor number which should start with an M if the original engine as well as the body number 54xx-xxxx and the thief proof and maybe even a different Briggs.

Posted on: 2012/9/27 22:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
HH,

The number on the title does start with an "M", so I think you've nailed it.

What is a "different Briggs"? Did the body manufacturer make some adjustments in '54 before they ended their relationship with Packard?

Posted on: 2012/9/27 23:24
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There should be a small 1" x 3" or so tag on the firewall from center toward drivers side & just below the horizontal seam where the flat lower and curved upper sections join. That 54xx-xxxx was the number Briggs gave when the body was built.

When Packard used the body and finished the car they gave their own number which became the official body number. Usually same as the Briggs but as O_D has mentioned, can be a difference of several numbers between the two in the sequence depending on production needs.

Posted on: 2012/9/28 8:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe in '54 the VN and Briggs numbers were all matching sets.

Posted on: 2012/9/28 11:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Beginning with postwar production in 1946, it's not all that common that the Briggs and VN match, sometimes differing by hundreds. The closer you get towards the end of the 23rd series the closer they become, often within 25 numbers of each other, and sometimes actually matching.

Beginning in 1951 they almost always match, exceptions are rare and when there are exceptions they usually are RHD cars, one-off cars, etc.

Posted on: 2012/9/28 11:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Successful Packard Hunt
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
As usual, lots of interesting information. OD, your comment about one-offs and other specialty cars having differing numbers could give some people a clue as to whether their cars might have been special-ordered car, even if they don't find a build sheet anywhere. Nice bit of info.

Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Beginning with postwar production in 1946, it's not all that common that the Briggs and VN match, sometimes differing by hundreds. The closer you get towards the end of the 23rd series the closer they become, often within 25 numbers of each other, and sometimes actually matching.

Beginning in 1951 they almost always match, exceptions are rare and when there are exceptions they usually are RHD cars, one-off cars, etc.

Posted on: 2012/9/28 15:18
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Synchros?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Another legit question, haven't found it answered anywhere: did the '54 3-speed (or 3-speed OD) transmission have synchros? Mine seems to have "crash" gears in 1st, 2nd, and I think even 3rd! I was expecting more from Packard. Isn't this a Ford transmission, though? But even the early '60s Ford 3-speeds had at least 2nd and 3rd "synchromesh" gears. What gives?

Posted on: 2012/9/28 19:46
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe it was still a Packard built transmission in 54. IIRC, first is crash but synchro on 2 & 3. Apparently yours needs work.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.02 KB)
209_506648215f76b.jpg 455X561 px

Posted on: 2012/9/28 20:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Hm. Thanks for the quick response. I'll add it to my list of mostly fairly small things that need attention. Worn synchronizers or a clutch problem may be suspects here, I think. I didn't know Packard made a three-on-the-tree gearbox. I believe the '55 and '56 used a Ford unit, but then I'M NOT AN EXPERT!

Posted on: 2012/9/28 20:19
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
55PackardGuyQuote:
I believe the '55 and '56 used a Ford unit, but then I'M NOT AN EXPERT!

I'm not an expert in this area either, but I believe that some Ford transmissions like the T-10 will bolt in, whereas others like the TopLoader need the input shaft shortened.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/9/28 20:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved