Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 31 »

Re: ZIS 110
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, you've triggered my memory and I'm certain you're correct. The name was Cuno, we also used them in the chemical processing industry. Thanks for the memory jog.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 17:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have never seen that kind of filter but wonder why more cars didn't use or make it available as option instead of the bypass system most had. Was it also bypass? It appears to come off a fairly high pressure area and must have had some merit if used in chemical industry. Maybe too expensive? Only aftermarket setup I remember having any visibility in 50's was the TP thing which resurfaced again a decade or so later.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 17:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Bypass filtration means that the oil goes through the engine then to the filter, and only a small percentage is filtered. Full flow filtration means that the oil goes from the pickup tube to the filter, then to the pump, then to the engine. You can obviously see why full flow is better.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 17:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The filter my father had I first remember it being on a 53 Studebaker V8 then on the 56 Studebaker it was a bypass set up but used heavy industrial type rubber pressure fitting and hoses connection it was about 12 inches long and about 4 inches in diameter. The memory of the 53 is a little cloudy as I was only 10 years old in 53 only allowed very little hands on car work but was in training.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 19:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Cuno filters are by-pass type. They are covered in some of the older editions of Motor's Manual.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 22:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Could it be that the Russian castings were a bit larger overall because of their (possibly less sophisticated) techniques? This would grow the finished dimensions, would it not? The Russians were masters at reverse engineering others' products. U.S. B-29 aircraft, and a British jet engine are among some of their noteable efforts. I'm looking forward to the follow-up report on this.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 17:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the observation. As I said, I'll know a bit more when I get back but please share with us your knowledge of the differences between the ZIS-110 and the 42 Packard 180 mechanics..

Posted on: 2008/6/10 16:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When is Owen comming back??? Anyone heard from him yet???

I'd also like to hear more from our new and MOST WELCOME international member Guscha.

Guscha, your written english is good. Probably better than mine.

We need more international members. From anywhere and everywhere. I belong to VirtualIndian.com (Indian Motorcycles 1901-1953) with alot of International members. Many Australians amd Scandinavians. I've Learned alot from the Aussies and the Scandinavians. The Aussies and Scand's have alot of knowledge that is just not available from US authors or US documentaion.

Posted on: 2008/6/21 22:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
Dear member PackardV8,

thank you to accord me a hearty welcome. I'm far away and write to you from the coast of the Baltic sea (northern Germany). It makes me (a little bit) proud that my sentences seemingly clearly understandable for you.
Packard and ZIS makes strange bedfellows. To give you a perhaps oddish impression I would like to call attention to the nascent webpage www.Guscha.de
From time to time I will fill in the many blanks - I hope you will enjoy it.

Guscha,

I'd also like to welcome you on board and for your input into the Packard and ZIS commentary. Rather than Packard and ZIS being strange bedfellows I'd like to think of them as related entities, like long lost distant cousins although no one is quite sure about the family connections! So anything that will help fill in the blanks will be most welcome. Like your site, but as my German is sadly lacking I struggled a fair bit.

Again

Posted on: 2008/6/23 15:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Guscha. We are MOST interested in the Packard/ Zis connection. Especialy parts interchangeability between Packard and Zis.

Where do you buy Zis parts???? If i remember right, you said earlier that u sell Zis parts???? DO you sell Zis parts to Packard owners to install on their Packards???

Posted on: 2008/6/23 21:46
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved