Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Seeking My Clipper's History
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i didn't think they had anything on the v8s. i already tried that and was told they don't have those documents.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 15:25
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the Studebaker Museum has been the source for many years for copies of the build/shipping slips for some of the V8 models but they don't have them for all models, for example the slips for the Caribbeans are in private hands. I forget the charge from the museum, perhaps about $40.

PS - I never can remember just which models and years the Studebaker museum has and doesn't have the build/shipping slips for. The question comes up often enough, can someone pin that down here?

Posted on: 2013/1/4 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Well I tried on mine.... No go!

Posted on: 2013/1/4 20:24
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I find it hard to believe that any company as inherently efficient as Packard would not have kept meticulous records as to the build sheet, factory shipping, and other information regarding each car it produced. And if the company had these records in 1956, then doesn't it stand to reason that these records would exist somewhere or another. Does the America's Packard Museum in Dayton, Ohio contain records for the cars? Here is its information requestL:

americaspackard@americaspackardmuseum.org

and the website:

http://www.americaspackardmuseum.org/the_museum.html

Posted on: 2013/1/8 9:12
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I find it hard to believe that any company as inherently efficient as Packard would not have kept meticulous records as to the build sheet, factory shipping, and other information regarding each car it produced

It's not that they didn't keep such records, it's that much of Packard's history went to landfills and dumps by the trailerload after the closure of East Grand. For what was saved we can thank a few passionae and farsighted individuals who hijacked what they could. There have been some good articles on the "last days in the bunker" and the carnage that followed the closure of East Grand, perhaps you'd enjoy reading them - it's sad!

Posted on: 2013/1/8 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Well, surprise, surprise. Got a letter back from the New Mexico DMV and ... no dice. They replied that they have no record of my car. This can mean a lot of things; but the fact is that if I am able to get any solid information about my car it will simply be good luck.

I am not giving up, though. What have I got to lose?

Posted on: 2013/1/8 20:34
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
MrBumble, I am surprised you even got a reply from the NM DMV. Good to hear they responded. Here is another suggestion for determining the origin of your Clipper, albeit a long shot. I found a part of the build slip for my 55 Clipper Super Sedan taped to the floorboard on the transmission hump under the carpet padding. Since your Clipper has been restored, it is probably not there, but you never know. Here is a photo of the remains of the build/shipping label and the location where it was found. (o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/1/9 12:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
JW:

Thank you for your suggestion, but I know that the carpeting was replaced during the restoration so I doubt any slip would still be there. Who knows? It's worth taking a look. I need to go through my car's records more thoroughly -- maybe organize them chronologically. I'll let you know what I find out.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/1/10 9:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I found my 1956 build sheet under the rear seat just laying on the floor.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 14:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Hmmm ....

Maybe mine got burned up in the ash tray!

Posted on: 2013/1/10 15:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved