Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1940 overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Just curious, as I'm going thru my own overdrive troubles, how you finally came out with yours?

Posted on: 2008/7/12 18:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
thanks for asking. For the past week here in the high desert part of Los Angeles, it has been way over 100 degrees each day, plus heavy work load, I have not had a moment to get out to the garage and play. But I do have some ideas and hopefully in the next couple of days get out to my garage. I will keep you posted. And if I can be of any assistance to you let me know. Thanks Todd.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Well for the past two months I have had very limited time to play with the overdrive. But, now mostly have it fixed. Let me give me some info. in case it helps someone else. I kept going round and round with this because, there were three problems that needed sorting out. And with just a few minutes every so often I couldn't get it sorted out till just a few days ago. Turns out that the solenoid had a bad contact to turn the light on. The blocking ring had gotten a bit out of alignment, and the solenoid adapter plate had gotten bent.
So what you need to know about the blocking ring is that it should be aligned according to your borg-warner service sheets. But it doesn't quite work the way they say, it takes one person with the rear wheels off the ground, while the other one has his finger (and or home made rounded end rod) in the hole. While one person is turning the wheel forwards and backwards, and you are under moving the lock out lever back and forth for about ten minutes you will all of a sudden feel that the pawl will go in about a 1/2 inch more than it had before. Now with your home made rounded end rod carefully pull the pawl out, making sure not to turn any wheel or the drive shaft, because it may get out of alignment again. Which it did, and then had to align all over again. Bent the plate as flat as I could. And fixed the contact. Now it is working about 90% of the time. Now, occasionally while driving at high speed the red light may come on, and once it came out of overdrive. So may still be the slightly bent adapter plate, governor, relay, or possible the solenoid is a bit weak. But, I don't think the overdrive needs rebuilding. So anybody that can give any guidance from here would be appreciated. And does anyone have an extra adapter plate for sale. Thanks

Posted on: 2008/10/26 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Todd

Congratulations! You are a brave man,,,,,,,to wander into your overdrive (R-9?).
As a non-mechanic-tinkertype Packard owner, my 41 seems to go on 20% correct parts, 30% scratch the 'detective' side of my head, and 50% tinkering (trial and error till it works or I learn something).

Maybe your % are better, but keep having fun.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/10/26 17:07
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved