Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

35 Eight Packard starting problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
been helping today try to get a 35 Packard eight started. The car runs great when we can get it started but it's a bear to get started. Motor is restored and in great shape as is car. Again, I have got it started twice in the last 2 weeks and it ran great and idled smooth slow and quiet when warmed up. But now I can't get it started and it's 40 degrees outside and not that cold.

If I pour a little gas in carb it will run for a few seconds.

Also, I cranked the starter quite a bit and it all of the sudden stopped and smoked a little bit. I assume it got to hot--do you think I ruined it or burned it up?

Any advice is appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 16:16
 Top  Print 

Re: 35 Eight Packard starting problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
I'm not the expert, but if it starts, runs briefly when you pour in a little gas then it sounds like you are not getting fuel. I'd start with filter and fuel pump.

Always want to rest the starter and not crank too long at a time, don't have the experience to know the result of your problem, after it has cooled will it turn again?

Posted on: 2013/1/23 16:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear PackardO:

You shouldn't overstress that starter because parts are very dear. If the cranking speed is slow the first step is to check the cables. I won't get technical here, but if they are not in good condition you can buy a custom made set that dramatically improves your situation.

The car should start in a few turns given it has fuel. Keep in mind that the throttle should be at least 1/3 depressed if the fast idle cam is in doubt. Pump the carburetor three times, hold throttle partially open and crank.

It sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem. Check by pumping he accelerator and smelling for fuel in the intake. Then you need to work backwards through the fuel system. Loosen the fuel line at the fuel pump and crank the motor. If there is no gas there then remove the input line and make sure it is clear. And that there is gas in the tank.

If the car sits it is not a good idea to use the starter to fill the carburetor. When new this wasn't a problem, but old cars have more problems, so use a squirt oil can to prime the motor until it runs. On later cars the carburetor can be filled via the vent.

If the car has an electric pump check that as well.

Also, any air leaks in the fuel lines will cause the gas to drain back to the tank.

Careful analysis of symptoms should solve your problems.

Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 16:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
It does have a external fuel filter just below the carb that previous owner put there. It cranks very well so I know that isn't the problem.

Should I start there (external fuel filter) and work back from there? I'm no expert so this simple thing for you guys could illicit many question from me--sorry!

Do you think I hurt the starter? As soon as it got hot and quit working I stopped and won't try again until tomorrow.

When you say:

"Then you need to work backwards through the fuel system. Loosen the fuel line at the fuel pump and crank the motor. If there is no gas there then remove the input line and make sure it is clear. And that there is gas in the tank."

I'm not sure where you loosen the fuel line at fuel pump. Do you mean on the side where it's coming from fuel tank or where it exits fuel pump and proceeds up line to the carb? I did look around there and it appears there is fuel in the little bowl and maybe some debris in the bottom of it.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 17:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
First of all unless you are familiar with the procedure I suggest that you contact someone who might be available to help you who is knowledgeable. As you know gasoline is a very dangerous substance and fire is a danger so keep a fire extinguisher handy at all times. I would remove the filter bowl and check it the fine screen filter is plugged and clean out the sediment in that glass bowl. If all seems clear put it back in and then turn over the engine and watch to see if the bowl refills. If it does quickly the pump may be fine. If it fills slowly or not at all then the problem is likely the fuel pump or gas line. Start there and see what happens then get back to us. Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
serious ? what is best type of fire extinguisher for this situation?

you guys got me nervous now about the possibility of fire :)

Posted on: 2013/1/23 18:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Class B or a CO2 fire extinguisher. Any time you are working on the electrical or fuel system you should be worried about fire. I worry to the point of paranoia.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/1/23 20:16
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
IS this the correct fire extinguisher?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidde-Fire-Extinguisher/16608354

Also, do you guys think I hurt the starter or it got hot and stopped until it cooled down?

Posted on: 2013/1/23 21:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Fire extinguisher is OK as it is B and C rated. As for the starter you no doubt didn't do it any good but as long as it spins the motor you are probably good to go.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
here is a pic of the engine if can make it work

Attach file:

jpg  (52.41 KB)
1497_5100b6703ab7c.jpg 640X426 px

jpg  (45.44 KB)
1497_5100b6890158f.jpg 640X426 px

Posted on: 2013/1/23 23:14
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved