Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 145 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Its been a few days since I tried re-seating the load arms in the stir-ups again. I ordered some foam tubing for the grease seals and have been waiting for that.
I disconnected the watts link and both shocks. Dropped the rear end down lower and they still don't align. The image below shows the difference.

Let me ask a question. If I lower the front load arms a little will the rear load arms raise up some? Do they work opposite of one anotehr?

Attach file:

jpg  (114.75 KB)
5209_553ed4ead1944.jpg 1280X1048 px

Posted on: 2015/4/27 19:33
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I would think if you tried it, it might help.
The commercial about the TL system seem to support this.
http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2589

Posted on: 2015/4/27 20:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Because of the preload twist in the bars, lowering the front arms will not help. You will observe that the movement of the rear arms is stopped in the downward direction by the fact that the bars are trapped within the windows of the rear frame bracket. You best bet is to clamp something to the rear arms and lever them up enough to place a shim of some sort, like a piece of pipe slit in half, between the main bar and the frame bracket. That will hold the arm up at a more convenient angle for slipping the stirrup under.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 21:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
If you could somehow ratchet the frame down, would that help?

Maybe a bolt or chain in the concrete floor, and then ratchet it down like it had the weight of the body and drive train?

Somewhere in one of the Packard books I remember seeing a picture of the factory loading the bars. If I remember correctly, the frame was upside down, and the back arms were brought down to the frame to then have the stirrup put in place. Maybe it was the kimes book?

Posted on: 2015/4/28 12:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure ratcheting anything down would work since the load arm is already disconnected but if there is anything substantial in the frame directly above or a 4x4 could be laid across the frame above the load arms perhaps a chain around that and under a floor jack would allow the jack to raise the arm up enough to get the angle closer to meeting the saddle or as Ross suggests, allow a shim to be placed in the bracket.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 14:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
HH,
What about using a car strap, or come along to compress the rear axle to the frame?

My earlier post, I guess I was thinking that if you could hold the frame down, it would be like how the factory loaded the frame upside down. Then move the arm so that it would go into the stirrup.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 14:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think raising the axle will help because the arm is at it's lowest position so at a fairly steep angle and shortened in relation to the stirrup position. I believe I remember the description of the way the factory production tool worked was its base was clamped to the frame and an air motor rotated an arm assy which was positioned against the load arm. As the tool arm rotated, the load arm was also rotated or pushed down so it was more or less horizontal or straight out and the stirrup was then held in position over the seat. When the tool was rotated back the load arm rotated back. The stirrup was able to catch the arm and also compress the rubber cushion slightly as the load arm moved back into an angle but the stirrup and torque arms kept it from going to the extreme it is now.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 15:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Stewart,

HH, Nailed it, you have to compress the frame and the load arm, the rear axle is just a pivot point and will not give you any mechanical advantage on the how the front and rear load arms apply the force in opposite directions. My experience working with mine.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 17:05
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I think I am seeing what you folks are explaining.

I do have a couple 4x4s I can use but the wheel arch is too close to allow me to lay them directly above the area.

I grabbed some scrap lumber and a chain tonight and made a mock-up of what I think you are describing. If this will work all I need is something to hang from it to lift the bar.

Attach file:

jpg  (126.45 KB)
5209_554025ce2296e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (107.16 KB)
5209_554025d8cbd82.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (123.93 KB)
5209_554025e574164.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/4/28 19:45
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure 2x4s will be strong enough but maybe if doubled. The chain needs to be longer to make a loop around the jack base. The principle of the idea is as the floor jack saddle is raised the base will be pulling against the chain and boards so the frame can't raise or move away while the jack ram and saddle is under the arm pushing it up to a more horizontal position.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 20:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved