Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 147 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Troy T
I know its off the subject of Stewart's 55 but I was wondering about the Ebay brakes lines. Had the "Pumpkin" rebuilt in my 23 series while cleaning the grease and junk on the rear end (Still in the car) I found the right brake line crimped in 2 places. If I am going to replace 1 might as well do all of them.

Anyway, do you have to bend the lines to fit or are they ready to go? Any problems with them?

Thanks!
Barry

Posted on: 2015/5/25 23:15
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Stewart, It looks like you got the spring on your Parking Brake Strut on the wrong end. Also are the Yellow and Orange springs in correct position. I would look this up but too busy with kids right now. Sorry!
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (96.80 KB)
1003_55648869688cb.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/5/26 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Barry- I did try a set. They are close in length, I chose to modify them a bit on our 55. The main line that runs the full length of the frame is pliced in two spots. Not a big fan of splices but I get it for shipping reasons. The line has a copper element to it and bends real nice by hand. I have stood on the brakes and the lines took it no prob. Of course the treadle maxes out at about 600 psi.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 14:07
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
That's good to know Troy. I've been looking at those lines myself.

Wesley, I believe the image you posted is of the right rear and mine is the left rear. So both of our is showing the emergency brake spring closer to the rear of the car. Also, you may be right about the other springs. The new ones that I have are all grey and I jsut could not get them on. Those are the original springs. I installed them to see if I could do it.

Kevin, my most common answer when asked about our lavender farm is "Chicks dig it". We have 1000 plants (and growing) on 1/2 acre hill side. My wife makes soap and other products to sale. We also sale the dried bundles to hobbyist who also make product. We should be harvesting within the next couple weeks. If anyone is interested my wife created a Facebook page named Fairview Lavender Farm.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 16:38
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Stewart wrote:
Wesley, I believe the image you posted is of the right rear and mine is the left rear. So both of our is showing the emergency brake spring closer to the rear of the car.

Wesley is correct. The spring on the flat bar connecting strut should be towards the front of the car, opposite from the lever that is bolted to the brake shoe.
Both photos are of the left rear.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
OK, I went back and found my pictures from when I pulled it off and I agree. I will correct it tonight.

Attach file:

jpg  (100.96 KB)
5209_5564f08e26ac1.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/5/26 17:15
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Stewart, the last picture you posted looks like the passenger side. My picture was from the drivers side.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/26 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Stewart, I forgot to mention, look were your Emer. Brake/Parking Brake cable comes though the back plate, and about the springs readhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16132&forum=2
Kanter explains a little about the springs. Also it looks like you have two Primary (maybe not) Shoes, I found mine had two Secondary shoes on the Drivers side, I need to look at the Passengers side next, maybe I will find two Primary Shoes there.
I hope this helps.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/26 18:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I have your part. PM me with a mailing address and I'll send out in the morning.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Well fudge!
I'm glad I didn't go any further. The the article said "all the new return springs are the same tension" and that is exactly what I have.

I will locate a proper spring kit.

Thanks for the information as I can now tell the difference in the brake shoes as well.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 20:40
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved