Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Highway speeds/engine rpm/ gearing and other stuff
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Measuring the diameter isn't all that easy to do accurately. I suggest measing the circumference at the center of the tread with a tape measure and then diving by "pi" or 3.1416.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 6:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I got my info of off DB tires web site, by using their chart

Posted on: 2013/4/3 12:34
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
So recapping this thread, it is best to stay under 2500 rpm when cruising in a post war straight 8 and under 2000 rpm is better for mpg. I am guessing rpm below 1250 to 1500 rpm is lugging the engine.

John

Posted on: 2014/9/13 10:31
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Here is a calculator for speed you can change each field for correct information for your car and tire size
http://www.crawlpedia.com/rpm_gear_calculator.htm

Posted on: 2014/9/13 21:44
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, There is a section in each series of Service Counsellors available on this site, which gives the rpm per mile ( a mile a minute or 60 mph) for each of the gearbox, factory standard rear axle ratio and factory tyre configurations. For example. For the 26th Series, if you go to the 1952 Service Counsellor Vol 26 No 11, under Engine, General information...for the 2601 ( 1953) with the 288 engine, it gives The egine rpm per mile with factory tyres as
Standard trans...2847
OD 2155...direct 2993
Ultramatic.......2584

The Counsellor then gives this information for each of the models for that series.

The Mechanical Specifications and Adjustments for the next year's Series is usually the last or second last Service Counsellor....unfortunately..it is not listed in the Index.
For 1950...it is Vol 24 No 8.

I am a bit pushed for time at the moment but someone else may be able to list them for each year. I shall do it when I get some time.

Best regards, Peter Toet

Posted on: 2014/9/13 22:14
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I am guessing rpm below 1250 to 1500 rpm is lugging the engine.

To a large degree that's a function of piston stroke. The prewar senior Eights with their 5-inch stroke accelerate smoothly and easily in high gear from as low as 5-10 mph which is far less than 1000 rpm.

Posted on: 2014/9/14 11:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Gentlemen: I had forgotten that I started this one. The info keeps coming. Thank you all for your input. I need to delve further in to this as I have changed out the 4:1 rear gears for a 3:9 set from a non overdrive car. I was coming home from a Show & Shine the other night, on the four lane and I was able to keep up with traffic, without any erroneous engine noise. It didn't sound like I was pushing the mill too far in RPM's. My bad for not hooking up the light in the tach. Fall is here and the time to put the car away for the winter and start the winter projects to have it better for next summers driving is coming soon. I hope to get a couple more runs in before the white stuff is here.

Posted on: 2014/9/14 15:33

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
3.9 axle ratio should be 2847 rpm at 60 Miles per hour.

Posted on: 2014/9/14 22:14
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks Peter. I don't think mine is that high as I have overdrive. Our friend in Walnut Creek suggested going to the 3.9 from the 4.1 with the overdrive, to have slightly longer legs on the highway. Not that I want to drive fast, and take the four lane all the time. I just wanted to lower my engine rpm's overall. I did the similar thing to a '63 6 cylinder Studebaker Lark that I had. Made the car much more enjoyable to drive on the 2 lane and not have to listen to the mill running faster than it really needed to.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 9:34

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I've posted my findings before but here they are again. I have an R11 in my 38 120 coupe, it has 4.36 rear gears I'm running 700R 15 tires and with the over drive engaged at 2500 RPM my car is doing 66 MPH

Posted on: 2014/9/15 12:24
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved