Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Sticking shift linkage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
The idlers and rods are not going together very well and I think I have discovered the problem. I'm wondering if my mechanic friend installed the front (2-3) transmission arm incorrectly on its shaft. Does this picture look like the front arm is in the neutral position? It is a shot of the arms when the old transmission came out and I assume it was in neutral.
Right now when the trans is in neutral the arm is one position forward from the picture.
I know the arms and shafts are splined and have 4 index marks and I'm thinking the front arm is off by one index thereby messing up everything forward of it.
Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.47 KB)
4217_53bd8d1e85327.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/7/9 13:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think your trans was photographed in neutral. Can't get a straight on side shot of mine but in neutral the front arm appears to be in the same spot as yours -- just barely over the edge of mount.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.03 KB)
209_53bd9819bbe39.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/7/9 14:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
It looks like my 2-3 rods and arms are OK. It will shift into 2-3, but not into 1st, so my focus has turned to the 1-R circuit, for which I could start monkeying with the transmission arm but am hesitant to do so.

Right now, the 1-R trans arm is vertical when in neutral as I think it should be. In pic 1, note that the 1-R idler rod is very near full extension, while the 2-3 rod is as short as it can get. The levers are aligned/pinned (photo 2). Seems to me that the bottom arm of the 1-R idler needs to move towards the rear, so that the idler rod will shorten and the lever will have room to rotate. That means the transmission rod has to move and consequently the trans arm needs to be rotated. So, what am I missing? Everything else appears to be assembled correctly. Sorry to burn out this thread, but I am in gila monster mode.
Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (85.11 KB)
4217_53bdea03b9f7a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (79.54 KB)
4217_53bdea4c041bf.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/7/9 20:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is what mine looks like in neutral. View is straight down from under air cleaner. Levers on shift tube are almost straight down -- just slightly off vertical and turnbuckles adjusted accordingly. If you can't get this then I think the trans levers must be off.

There is not much to reference to on the rear lever in neutral photo but maybe you can correlate to the protruding sections of trans.

Attach file:

jpg  (111.98 KB)
209_53bdeda6517b1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (96.53 KB)
209_53bdef245e832.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/7/9 20:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
OK, this is starting to get challenging. Pulled the carpet and access panel. The arms have indexes at 90 degrees so they can't just be tweaked. And, rotation 90 degrees won't work - the arms move too far.
So, I set the idlers up to match Howard's picture with the levers pinned in neutral and the rods unattached. Back under the car, the 1-R arm and rod line up great. However, the 2-3 rod ends up rearward from neutral just about in 2nd gear position. Too far back to adjust properly up front.
Stymied again.
This shouldn't be this hard. What's maddening is that by all accounts the arms are properly in their N position and I can't find fault with the linkage assembly or any of the replaced/rebuilt parts.
The new/rebuilt parts are:
- the transmission, with my old arms properly installed.
- new bushings in the idler assembly
- new shift levers on the column
- new idler shaft and bracket

I near the end on this one....

Attach file:

jpg  (94.66 KB)
4217_53befcf4b86f7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (79.41 KB)
4217_53befd17e4c2e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/7/10 15:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm at a loss too unless the shafts were removed from the cover and perhaps are differently drilled and were switched or the hole for the inner roll pin to forks is drilled so the outer squares line up differently depending on the shaft position. I do not know if either is even possible but since you have just about ruled out everything else there is not much left to look at. You might ask the mechanic if such a thing was possible.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 16:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Maybe a dumb question, but are you absolutely sure that the 2nd - high shift lever on the transmission is in neutral and not high gear ?

Posted on: 2014/7/11 1:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks BD - At this point there are no dumb questions. The 2-3 shift lever is in the middle position, which is the only position that allows the 1-R lever to move. So, I conclude that the middle must be neutral.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 2:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Perhaps you folks could entertain a genuinely dumb question and confirm that for both transmission arms the center position of each arm is in fact, the neutral position.

A second, maybe not so dumb question - this should be a rebuilt/exchange transmission R-9 for a 2106 without electromatic clutch. Purchased from a well known supplier. Is anyone aware of any internal differences or perhaps EC differences that could cause a difference in the position of the transmission arms?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2014/7/11 16:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Mark,

Any chance the length of the connecting shift rods would have been different between models? Different year, or wheelbase?

Posted on: 2014/7/11 16:58
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved