Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 15 »

Re: Debi's 1953 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Curious. The wire going to the coil is fine, the one going to the ignition has the insulation melted off. When I pulled the melted wire I must have removed the short so I could drive home. The wire may have shorted against the oil sender wire. I am using the old coil, but that is not on the side of the Pertronix unit that melted the wire's insulation. The wires from the Pertronix unit are fine. The connection with the Pertronix unit's wire is ok and after the connection the insulation is burned. I too am looking for why it got hot and melted.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 2:38
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't file the points, use a point burnisher which leaves a much better, polished surface. Using point files is too aggressive and intended only to remove metal deposits, for example on the ignition points when you have an over or under capacity condenser. All you want to do is remove oxidation which is what a point burnisher is for.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 8:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nivek123
See User information
do you know where i can find doors for a patrician ?

Posted on: 2014/10/28 19:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nivek123
See User information
do you know where i can find doors for a 1953 patrician ?
All my doors are rotten at the bottom

Posted on: 2014/10/28 19:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Debi's 1953 Patrician instrument panel
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tim
See User information
Photos are so helpful! I have been curious as to exactly how the high beam indicator light fits (without removing the panel) and in this photo of the back of the instrument panel it can be seen easily. Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/12/19 16:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I decided to work on the brakes. While driving the car, when I stop I have to lift the brake pedal up to release the brakes.
I removed the master brake cylinder and sent it out to White Post Restoration. I now have it back and am waiting for a chance to reinstall it.
Then I get to look at the transmission. I can go in low and reverse, but it won't move in high. I have dropped the transmission oil pan and sprayed 4 cans of brake cleaner into the transmission hoping it would clean it (and it did), but I still have the same problem.
The transmission manual says the hi gear solenoid needs to be repaired/replaced but that is beyond what I can do. Any thoughts or has any one seen this before?

Posted on: 2015/11/27 1:23
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Was there a lot of debris in the bottom of the pan? That was probably the facings from your high range clutches. Usually if there is no high its because the clutches have worn out. If high went away all of a sudden, then it might be that something has gotten stuck in the valve body. That would have to be removed, taken apart and cleaned.

There is also a possibility that one of the bushings that supports the high range clutch has slipped out of position. That causes the apply pressure to not reach the clutch pack. Would be a good idea to check the pressure to the high clutch which is described pretty thoroughly in the shop manual.

Posted on: 2015/11/27 6:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I was driving it and it was shifting into high at 40 mph and seemed to run fine. Except that I had a leak in my fuel line, so I dropped the tank and had the tank cleaned. I put the gas tank back on and found the real problem of my fuel leak, fixed that. Then on the test drive, I only had low and reverse. It would only slip in high. So it was suddenly.
After I install the master brake cylinder, I'll address that.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 5:30
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I just installed the newly rebuilt power master brake cylinder. The brakes work great. The first time they almost threw me through the windshield! I got to drive it about a mile and a half home but couldn't go faster than 25 mph due to no high in my transmission, but it was fun.

I dropped off my car at the transmission shop. They said the transmission was rebuilt wrong and he wanted to convert it to a Chevy transmission. I said I had the original transmission and I delivered it to him. I wanted the transmission fixed not rebuilt! The original transmission was pulled because it leaked, it ran but it leaked. So I bought the other transmission because I was told it worked fine. I just should have had my original transmission rebuilt and that would have saved time.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 3:44
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Gorgeous Patrician and nice colors. Debi has good taste. I believe that the junior transmission also has smaller diameter plates etc. so might not be up to the weight of a Patrician. Before spending money on it, you might consider looking for a senior core or repairing your original.

Posted on: 2016/1/31 16:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 15 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved