Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiring question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
I am rewiring my 1950 Packard. Have a question. Where is the direction signal switch plug located? What does it look like.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 21:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiring question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If a 23rd series 50, It is round just over an inch in diameter & has 6 wires. Located about 6" from where the wires from the switch exit the column thru the large cast column support under edge of dash. The mating half will be exiting the main loom.

Prior models did not use a plug and was only 3 wires going into individual Wade connectors.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 21:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
Thanks; This information really helps. It is a 23rd series 1950 model.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 23:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
I have another question. If I want to check the tail lamp wire forward to the "direction signal switch plug" will a multimeter (ohm-meter) do the job for me. In other words will it identify the correct terminal on the direction signal switch plug? I would appreciate any information on how to accomplish this. Thanks;

Posted on: 2013/8/12 23:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Yes, you could use a VOM to check/verify this wire, you would need a long piece of wire to complete the circuit from the back of the vehicle to the area under the instrument panel, most VOMs hove short leads. I made up a ringer to do this kind of work a long time ago, it is basically an old fashioned electro-mechanical doorbell & transformer, the vibrating coil type that rings continiously rather than the "ding-dong-Avon calling" type, and I have about 20' of wire coming out of my
ringer board with an alligator clip on each wire. This way I can check continuity of various wires without having to look at both the meter and the wires while testing (or searching!), the ring of the bell is my indicator, also the required impedence of the bell circuit rules out any false readings, there has to be a good enough connection to power the ringer.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 8:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't believe Packard ever had a schematic showing the entire turn signal circuit in one place. Here is an extraction of the basic circuit for cars using the plug & might help in getting thru the switch. It is sort of generic as far as wire colors although Packard did tend to use the basic color family thruout the years.

Attach file:

jpg  (92.89 KB)
209_520a426fcb37b.jpg 1280X1060 px

Posted on: 2013/8/13 9:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
Thank you: Very good information. That is an excellent idea. I will do this. 1950 Packard

Posted on: 2013/8/13 11:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved