Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Engines runs stalls when put in gear
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
i pasted that from the literature.

Yes, you did, but you seem to have overlooked the leading text, advising that pattern is for the Gear Start edition of the Ultramatic, which was introduced with 54th Series - and very late in the production run, at that. You advised that your car is a 52, with a 53 trans. There is no no 'D' selection on the shift quadrant on a 52 (or 53); hence, the text you pasted would not apply.

Prior to the advent of the Gear Start version, there was NO automatic shift between Low and High range - sez so right in that FAQ. Furthermore, that text advises that the ONLY shift you will feel in the original Ultramatic is in/out of Direct Drive, which is a lock-up clutch in the torque converter.

Please go back and re-read that FAQ carefully; there are no awards given, here, for speed reading.

If you also read the FAQ on "What Fluid To Use", you will find that many other owners have complained about noise in Direct Drive - described as a groan/moan/moo. Short of an overhaul, perhaps you should to try a COMPLETE drain and refill with Type F fluid. Do NOT, however, inter-mix fluids of different types.

Because automatic shifting is activated by a governor, perhaps the governor in your trans needs cleaning, which can be accomplished in-car. In addition to the Training Booklet and Service Manual, see also this site's Packard Service Index - namely the installment for 1951-54 (24th->54th Series), and then the category, ULTRAMATIC, for several additional topics pertaining to the governor.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 15:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
i am reading that now. thanks for all your help. the more i read about it the better. but yes

it does seem that she is operating normally considering her age. i was going to completely drain and fill with Type F. ( read that in an earlier post/.

remove and clean the Governor. check!

thank you very much.

I had planned on finding a 52 12 plate to have rebuild next year when i get the 327 K done and it should all go back together original. The glove box slip indicates she had a 327 originally. ( now a 51,288 J )

thanks for all your help

Posted on: 2013/8/27 18:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The reason I suggested running it with the wheels on jack stands is because the rear pump will free up the hydraulic problem. Ultramatics will stick and then unstick. However, you should go ahead and put new oil in it, or at the least check the level and condition of what's in it.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 19:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
This weekend i will drain and fill with Type F. read about the governor before i remove and clean it.
i will put it on stands and run it like you said. Not sure how long or ?? both ways ?/
I will do this after i change the fluid.

i am reading the Serviceman Training Manual first. Then the others. Because i am a service man and been hit in the head alot so i don't read as fast as i usually did.

I was fooled initially. by the direct clutch/torque converter change. I am used to Chevy and fords from the 60's and 70's/

so my Ultamatic seems to be ok. I heard about the groan thing and that may be fixed by Type F. it only does it when cold.

Thank you again BH

Attach file:

jpg  (58.12 KB)
1374_521d5b2007abb.jpg 1001X750 px

Posted on: 2013/8/27 21:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thanks for the thanks. I'm not an engineer and only a mechanic by avocation. I just try to direct people to the answers that I would be looking for (some of which I have researched and compiled). This site provides the hands-on owner with more resources than what was previously available anywhere else.

Be sure to check out the article on cleaning the governor in Service Counselor Vol. 24, No. 5 (p. 18). The Training Booklet and 51-54 shop manual feature identical text in this regard (as part of an overhaul), but the SC article goes into a bit more detail. If you've worked on any automatics as a service man, I'm sure you know not to use wire brushes on these parts.

Ultramatic is a bit different than any other automatic that you may have seen or worked on. The planetary set-up with long and short gears threw me, at first. The lock-up converter concept was decades ahead of Chevy and Ford.

When you're finished with the Training Booklet, take a look at the last ten pages of the Ultramatic Drive section of the 51-54 shop manual. It covers design changes regarding the torque converter (and clutch), planetary and pump check valves that went into effect for 52.

Just take it all slow and easy, and when you're ready to gop to work, start with the least invasive approach(es) first.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 22:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thad,
for including your '50 Eight Touring Sedan in the Registry. I like the paint name!

Posted on: 2015/11/29 15:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Old post but here's my two-cents worth anyway. When the same thing happened during a trip in my 1953 Patrician, it was the governor which was simply stuck. It was like stopping the car with a manual transmission without pressing the clutch. Removing and freeing it up solved the problem and required only a couple most basic tools since the governor is external and accessed though a plate on the side of the transmission.

Posted on: 2016/1/4 18:34
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved