Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 59

packardbill, Rodney, 64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Windshield Sealant around Stainless Molding
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
All,

What is a good sealant for use between the windshield frame and the stainless molding? There is a black residue that remained when I removed the windshield.

It definitely needs a sealant to prevent leakage!

Posted on: 2013/8/27 9:44
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Re: Windshield Sealant around Stainless Molding
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
3M sells a sealant for that specific purpose, check with any local automotive glass shop for the exact name or an equivalent or check the display at a good auto parts store. But I believe the sealant goes BENEATH the stainless trim, at the interface of the glass and rubber channel or the rubber channel to the steel (or both). Perhaps your windshield rubber channel is old and lost it's resiliency?

Posted on: 2013/8/27 10:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
Actually, my rubber is in surprisingly good shape. The metal-to-metal (stainless to windshield frame) has the sealant residue that I want to renew when I reinstall the glass.

My windshield was broken in the distant past when a tree fell on the car prior to when I owned the car. I want to try for a leak free installation when I put the new glass in.

John from KC

Posted on: 2013/8/27 10:50
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Understood. Just remember the stainless trim is decorative and is not meant to contribute to the sealing of the glass.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 11:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
Owen:

Thanks for the replies. I will look for the 3M product. I didn't want the sticky stuff that glues the glass down as is used on modern cars.

Just a note to clarify: The molding IS part of the weather sealing on a 22nd-23rd car.

The car windshield frame to the molding MUST be sealed (with sealant). The molding to the rubber could be ok without sealant (I saw no evidence of sealant residue). Probably the clamping force from the interior trim holds this seal firmly tight. The glass to rubber might be ok without sealant (I DID see evidence of residue there)but I will apply sealant there. The corners at the center post probably require sealant (my car has some damage to the rubber there).

John from KC

Posted on: 2013/8/27 11:24
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a note to clarify: The molding IS part of the weather sealing on a 22nd-23rd car.

Yes, perhaps you're correct on that, I was thinking of the 51 and newer windshields. Can't remember the sealing details on either of my Customs Eight bathtubs, but they both leaked where water puddled against the glass at the lower outer corners. Solution was to pull back the rubber from the glass and insert some sealant. I've seen this kind of puddling and leakage on a number of bathtubs which hadn't had the rubber replaced - seems a common thing.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I thought I would resurrect this topic rather than start a new one.

I need to glue the stainless trim strips to my front and rear windscreen rubber seals on my '51 Club Sedan. They sit on the rubber and engage in a tight slit in the rubber seal.

Despite contacting 3M Australia help line I cannot find any special product available here in Australia from them.

Contact adhesive might be ok if applied wet, but would not be suitable if applied in the "usual" way (that is - let both surfaces dry until tacky, etc), because the trim strip needs to be slid into the groove in rubber seal.

So I'm looking for recommendations please.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 19:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good question. This sealant is what I am planning to use on the 47. It is common here and maybe in Australia too. I'd appreciate hearing any comments as to suitability from anyone who might have tried it.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.93 KB)
209_53cf076fa1b56.jpg 1003X406 px

Posted on: 2014/7/22 19:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Howard, you show exactly what I was thinking of for this application. I had a '41 160 that had been restored in Phoenix, AZ. The two piece windshield glass was new as was the windshield gasket. The first time I had it out in an East Coast rainstorm it leaked pretty badly at both bottom corners. The leak on the left side drenched my left shoe and pant leg every time I operated the clutch. I guess they don't get much rain out in Phoenix. Anyway, I bought the flowable silicone at Pep Boys (now $4.99 here) and spread it along the windshield's lower edge. Unlike regular silicone that just beads where you put it, the flowable silicone soaks into the crevice between the gasket and glass. It stopped the leaks entirely. I'd recommend it to anyone dealing with this condition.

Posted on: 2014/7/22 23:09
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
I used the pictured sealant material on my 1949 windshield successfully.

Posted on: 2014/7/23 17:57
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved