Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Dave's 2279 restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I finally got back to the car. The front clip is off and the engine is out. I also have the engine apart and am installing hardened valve seats, valve guides, etc. Waiting on cam bearings now. Hopefully they will be here tomorrow.
Lots of parts are off that I can clean for paint.
my parts house found a current formula for the paint I intend to use on the body. It's for Cavalier Maroon. The Dupont paint code is RS468. I haven't seen a paint chip yet. But thsy say it is a conversion from the old number.
I have attached two recent pics of the car's status.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.89 KB)
462_48a4ef81cf485.jpg 600X399 px

jpg  (29.44 KB)
462_48a4efb747371.jpg 600X399 px

Posted on: 2008/8/14 21:53
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
After getting the engine out and apart, I found a couple of safety wires. One of them on the fuel pump and the other on the overdrive. I believe they are the originals.

I got the cam bearings installed and deglazed the cylinders they had only about 001 taper. As soon as I can get back to the shop, I can get started reassembling the engine. I haven't had time to inspect the condition of the transmission yet either.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.12 KB)
462_48acdc53d8fbd.jpg 800X532 px

jpg  (43.45 KB)
462_48acdcb926a83.jpg 532X800 px

Posted on: 2008/8/20 22:22
North Hills Packards
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I got my gas tank for my other convertible back yesterday. Now all I need is the Philister head screws to put the sending unit back in. They are on order from Fastenall. Should be here Monday. By then I should have the tank painted and waiting.
Faculty meetings started yesterday and students return Monday. So, my progress is going to slow down quite a bit.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 18:38
North Hills Packards
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

That safety wire (at least on the fuel pump) is original. My fuel pump had the same treatment, and that is why the bolt heads are drilled. I guess the vibration on the fuel would cause the bolts to loosen. I have seen many other cars where the safety wire was replaced after the pump was rebuilt, and then they would come loose over time.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 22:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I've rebuilt or parted out about a dozen 22nd and 23rd series cars. I knew the safety wires were supposed to be there. But, I hadn't found any that seemed to have original wires. I don't think this engine has been apart or even had many parts replaced. So I'm assuming they are probably the originals.
Maybe by having these pictures on line will help others know what should be in place and how to run the wires.

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 13:51
North Hills Packards
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Dave,

Well, we know where you will be this winter. Quite a project.

Did you take the other convertible in the picture to PAC - Des Moines in June? Or maybe I am confusing it with another one I saw.

You will have some beautiful boats there, Captain.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/8/23 20:09
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Yeah that's the car that I embarrassed myself with in Des Moines. The fuel had gone so bad that it had stuck valves in cylinder 1,4,5, and 6. In order to fix it I had to clean and repair everything from the gas tank through the carburetor and of course free up the valves.
I enjoyed our visit in Des Moines. Will you make it to Branson next year?

You're right in that my time is booked pretty tight if I intend to get the second convertible ready for Branson.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 20:36
North Hills Packards
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Yeah,

No need for embarrassment with a great cars like those. You obviously do good work, and don't appear to be allergic to sweat.

It ALWAYS seems that something as SIMPLE as fuel or a filter or the basic stuff will mess up our plans.

Yes, I am planning on Branson. I have a brother an hour north in Bolivar, MO ~60 miles. You aren't too far yourself.

My Clipper is not running now. I am NO mechanic and messed up a points replacement, so I can't get it started [Distributor cam seems very sloppy, and rotor seems even sloppier -- LOTS of degrees of play. ???

Don't think I can drive it all the way to Branson. I took it to Minneapolis in July for a 900 mile weekend (with extra touring) but it was hard on it.

I see you pulled the your 2279s engine. How deep are you going into a rebuild? Do you fix it if it ain't broke yet?

happy project

DanL

Posted on: 2008/8/23 20:59
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Yes, I have torn it down completely. I have changed the cam bearings and de-glazed the cylinders. there approximately .001 taper. I will reuse the old pistons and rings. I measured the crankshaft and found that the rods and mains were only between .001 and .0015 clearance. I'll also reuse the crank and bearings. I have rebuilt the fuel pump and have a kit to do the carburetor. Everything gets cleaned repainted or replaced.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 21:11
North Hills Packards
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Today I got about half a day in the shop. Just couldn't make myself work on the gas tank. All it needs is cleaning the outside and paint. I should get the screws for the sending unit tomorrow. So I should have worked on it.
Instead I spent time on the engine. I drilled out the drain plug and replaced it. I then started the valve job. I finished the seats and ground the valves. Then, hand lapped them in place. The valves, lifters, cam, and springs are all in place.
Next I'll be putting in the crank, bearings, and pistons. I post a couple of pics after that.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 19:26
North Hills Packards
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved