Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

woodgrain painted interior trim - '49 Deluxe Club
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I finally got under the dash, and noticed what I thought was one color brown, sunburned off, is actually wood grain where the sun didn't get it.
Is this factory painted on or decal?
I found one interior picture online and it wasn't what I have. It didn't match, looked more like a cherry wood - air brush look, no graining. I was going to paint this trim myself, but I'm no faux artist. I can do the base coat, and clear if it calls for it but not the graining. Otherwise, I'll go incorrect - one color.
Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 15:27
 Top  Print 

Re: woodgrain painted interior trim - '49 Deluxe Club
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not a decal, all woodgrain on the Packards is painted metal, unless actual wood of course on the earlier cars.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 15:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might check out Grain It Technologies.http://www.woodgraining.com/ They have a video on the typical original processes done at the factory and also kits and videos on how to do it yourself.

Basically, it was a printing process. The original was printed on a flat sheet of metal and then stamped to shape. For the repro's it's plates and assorted soft silicone type rollers.

Several of us have bought kits to try our hands on reproducing the finish. A couple of posters have done some really nice dashes for their cars while others (me, for one) have done decent work on one type pattern but not mastered another. All I can say on that is thank goodness for Grain-It's very forgiving apply, wipe it off and try again process.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 16:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
A guy in WV came up with a DIY method for the woodgrain. You might try wiping it down with a furniture cleaner and see if any of the wood grain is still there. I did it to my 49 Packard and was pleasantly surprised. Do not worry about the lack of gloss that can be fixed with polyurtheane spray. If it is gone-the guy in WV has a DIY method which is bacically layering of paint-send me a PM and I will be glad to send it to you.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 16:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Thanks, I'll check these guys out and see if in the cards for me. Or I'll try and round up a faux artist for the graining and shoot the base myself. Otherwise, it's not worth doing for me. Just pick a color that goes with the interior and/or powder coat.
Anyone have/know any source for original pictures of the trim w/ grain? I only found one dash shot by online search and it's not correct based on what I see.
That manuf. method explains why it flakes off like it does on the curves, the paint bond gets "disturbed" when they bend it, which made me think maybe some sort of "decal" or laminated sheet process. I think they did tin toys like that too. Silk screen flat then press.
Being a southern car, all the paint is toasted and once the paint is gone...surface rust. So I'm probably going to need to blast so it'll need a complete redo.
The remaining grain is only present on the underside where it was out of the sunlight. That's how I noticed. I thought it was just brown for ~two months. So I don't hold much hope it will "polish out" all over.
I believe I have the interior paint codes (from this site?) but don't remember seeing any graining product/2 tone.
ps: I promise I won't even consider using "contact paper"!!!

Posted on: 2013/9/5 20:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I see what you mean about a lack of photos for 23rd series dashes. I found 3 semi-decent shots here but am not the one to say if any are correct for a 23rd deluxe. One was labeled as deluxe though -- but may be the one you saw.

There may be some more at the PAC site but there doesn't seem to be much photo organization by year so it's a kind of hope you find one.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=10483&cid=52

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=730&cid=52

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=974&cid=52

Posted on: 2013/9/5 20:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved