Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Historic connection
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

41ParPack wrote:
But the Packard Pride book shows Gen'l John J Pershing in his 30s Packard that was his daughter's wedding coach.

DanL

I hate to seem picky but the 1932 902 Packard featured in the Packard Pride book is one owned by Gen'l George Patton not Gen'l "Black Jack" Pershing. The car was up for sale on Ebay about 2 years ago or less as I recall. Wish I had the money to buy it since owning a piece of Patton memorabilia would be an honour.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 7:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Yes, 'Patton.'
Again, Thanks for keepin' me honest.

I am almost as embarrassed as the guy who put a 1948 Packard in the Movie 'Patton' in a WWII time sequence.

Glad somebody else reads all the good Packard books out there. I enjoy them too. Just can't all my dusty Ps (Patton, Pershing, ..) straight w/o the book in front of me. (I'm 600 miles from home).
But thanks to Big Kev, I still have great Packard Forums at my fingertips on PInfo.

Keep Enjoyin',
DanL

Posted on: 2008/7/31 11:05
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
And the 1940 160 Limo assigned to Admiral Nimitz when in Washington, DC is alive and mostly well with a friend of mine, still with Naval serial number painted on the underside of the hood.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 21:59
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frank
See User information
There's a lot of Packards in history. I have book that has President Truman riding on a Packard, as well as, a presidential candidate, whose name escapes me now, of the 1940's. I'll see if can dig out the pictures when I get home.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 22:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps you're speaking of the picture of Tom Dewey riding in a 22nd or 23rd series Custom 8 victoria.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 22:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Unless my memory fails me I believe that President and Mrs. Truman both arrived at the White House to take up residence and departed from it in Packards.

Certain key individuals in the Eisenhower administration had close ties to GM, pushed the, "one source," concept for military purchases and were at least rumoured to be instrumental in PMCC losing its contract for the J-47 jet engines that were manufactured for the USAF at the Utica plant.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 13:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
I have a book at home on Presidential Automobiles. Can't recall the exact title or author. I think Truman didn't get a new limo and preferred Chryslers for personal transport. I am sure he rode in his share of Packards, including the photo op mentioned. I believe a Lincoln/Contintental was built for Eisenhower. After the assassination of John Kennedy, open cars for presidents were a thing of the past. The bullet proof limo was here to stay.

(I am sure there as errors in above recollections. So who will keep me honest this time, guys?)

All of these cars are out of my league. There is a certain fascination with the old limos. Now a days, if it isn't stretched to 35 ft it isn't attracting attention (Give them a block and they can turn this 'Hummer Limo' around.)

Sorry, I am ranting. Must be on a sugar high. Anyway back to Nimitz, glad to here his 'taxi' is still around.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/8/1 16:57
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The last Packard bought new for White House service was a 1951 Patrician 400 (2406) by Derham purchased in the Truman Administration but apparently retired shortly thereafter in favor of Lincolns who offered special incentives.

Source of this information is an article on White House Packards published by the Smithsonian which I'll add to this site under Misc. articles. Hope you enjoy.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 17:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Owen_Dy..

Thanks for the article. You are always good for the details.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?230

Check it out here on PInfo, History Fans.

DAnL

Posted on: 2008/8/3 9:34
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
wrong - Harry Truman was VERY proud that he drove away from the White House no richer than when he got there. Made a special point of buying his own car. Was a '52 Chrysler Imperial. He still had that Imperial when I met him in '59 as a research student at his library just east of St. Louis.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 8:28
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved