Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Has anyone ever seen a 56 with predictor fins? pics inside.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
That car number does not appear in Stuart Blond's Cormorant article listing company cars, including cars assigned to styling. Very interesting.

Is it possible to read this article somewhere?

Posted on: 2013/12/1 7:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can just buy the back issue from The Packard Club, they are only a few $ an issue. Or I'm sure one of the Packard Club members in Finland would be glad to loan you the issue. Depending on the depth of your interest in Packards you might consider a membership in PAC which includes the publications. Last time I looked overseas membership was $55/year surface mail and $95 via airmail. jAlso perhaps membership in the Nordic Packard Owner's Club which encompasses all of Scandanavia.

For a bit of Finnish history you might also consider buying the back issue with the story of the restoration of General Mannerheim's Packard Twelve.

Posted on: 2013/12/1 8:42
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Rod Hobbs
See User information
J.W. Myers showed me this car in his garage in July of 1975. He had been collecting Packard cars for a while and told me he bought this from the original owner. I wondered what happened to it.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 18:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

It's now for sale:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4642228706.html

It's unique, I'll leave the aesthetic judgment to the beholder.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/9/19 9:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

56the400 wrote:
the number is 5687-2834 it has only one antenna on lr quarter the car only has 83k original miles on it all original interior.The car was repainted some years ago the color code is MR and trim is 89 the vehicle was owned by JW meyers prior to my friend buying the car who was a local packard collector some years ago. My friend bought the car in 92 and had the car repainted by a guy who took the car all the way down to metal and said the installation of the fins looks to be factory but that is one mans opinion i have yet to find any documentation on the fins and the guy he bought it from died some years back he had owned the car for quite some time.

WIth a serial number this far into production, I assure you, the factory was not sitting around trying to figure out how to add Predictor-style airfoils onto the rear fenders of a production car. They were too busy shoveling things into the furnaces and preparing to see the company die. This would have been the least of a project on anyone's mind-even IF there was money around to do such stuff. Factory mods are almost never done on late production cars-especially when that design was about to be phased out anyway.

IF the factory was actually working on such an idea (and this is hugely doubtful), it would have been on the 1957 proposed models or Black Bess engineering prototype. It wasn't. There won't be any factory "documentation" forthcoming on such a thing... certainly not at such a late point in time. They had far worse things to occupy their time by then. Gotta be somebody's customizing job.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 22:22
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

chris roberson
See User information
talked with the guy today that JW myers bought the car from he was the third owner jw bought the car from him in 1968 pat m. said the jack beebe the owner of the Packard dealer in Kansas city had 6 of the cars built specially from Packard in 1956 this car was originally copper colored he said he saw a pic of the car the day it came home from the dealer and the fins were on it pat owned the car for 4 years before selling it to JW Meyers so norm McCain would have been the 5th owner he bought it in 1992 and had it repainted

Posted on: 2014/10/2 20:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
All we need is the factory build sheet.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/10/2 22:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

That '56 400 with the Predictor fins surfaces again, at Kerrville this year. Here's the link to the AACA Forum posting:
http://forums.aaca.org/topic/275031-56-packard-fin-experiment-factory/#comment-1470922

And, for our documentation, better photos for the record.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (104.58 KB)
409_570131cf9b103.jpg 1024X607 px

jpg  (40.59 KB)
409_570131e5bc970.jpg 700X454 px

jpg  (72.07 KB)
409_570132031becf.jpg 1063X545 px

jpg  (52.72 KB)
409_5701321c15661.jpg 465X861 px

Posted on: 2016/4/3 10:09
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I guess I am one of those who likes almost everything about the Predictor and with the flatter and more angular body the "airfoils" go with the styling. On the 56, IMO (from the photos at least) they look odd and out of place even for the era of tailfin abundant sky is the limit 50s.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 11:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi HH56

In this case, more a problem of styling execution: less height, more rake angle and slightly coving the taillight would make this job much more Predictor evocative.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (19.11 KB)
409_5701603c917a1.jpg 500X332 px

Posted on: 2016/4/3 13:26
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved