Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
49 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 49

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Sorry, that set won't work, my impact set goes up to 1 1/4" also and that isn't big enough.

Posted on: 2014/4/12 22:49
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Posted on: 2014/4/13 4:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think unless you can measure what you need an assortment would be worth considering. A few weeks ago another poster told me "you can never have enough tools".

Can't directly help because my axle has the 7/8 thread used on most senior cars and believe your 200 will be the 3/4 thread. Even with that difference, unless someone knows their cars history there could be issues.

My car at some time in it's life had one of the axle nuts changed. One side takes a 1 7/16 socket and the other side takes a 1 1/2. Which side is the correct Packard nut for the car I could not say nor can I say if both are Packard correct but from different years or if one nut came from the hardware store. Someone else measuring theirs for you could be in the same predicament.

Posted on: 2014/4/13 9:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The stock nut for the rear axle is 1-5/16" across the flats, so that should be the size of socket required.

Dimensions can be found in the Utility section of the 1935-41 Parts List under #351531 in Group 50.110

Posted on: 2014/4/13 18:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Got the engine mostly painted (sorry, no picture yet) after scraping, washing with laquer thinner, and wire brushing. Lots of work for no payoff on whether it runs or not, but if I'm in there fixing or replacing stuff I'm going to clean it and shine it up. Got to the point where it made sense to drop the oil pan, just like everyone says it's a good thing to do and clean it out. Lots of sludge, the oil pump pickup was pretty much embedded in the muck so that had to impede any flow. About 3/4" deep in the bottom. I include a picture of the old pan to demonstrate why I thought I need to replace it, even though with the dented bottom I could save on oil because it would hold maybe a quart less than normal.

I ran my finger around the goo to see if any parts big enough to have part numbers on them were stuck in there, hey I found a valve keeper! Better check to see if all the valves have theirs, hopefully this is from a repair at some point.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.64 KB)
34001_535332f8629dc.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (39.04 KB)
34001_53533308e4ebb.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (60.43 KB)
34001_53533385dd6d4.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/4/19 21:45
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I'm trying to decide if my muffler is usable, I tipped it to empty out the debris and the mice had a granary in there. If I can get most of it out it should be OK, but if I run it with a bunch of grain in there I worry that it would absorb water and rust it out quick.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.04 KB)
34001_53533854bf7b3.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/4/19 22:07
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No big surprise finding a valve keeper in the oil pan, it happens more than you'd think. Despite advice to plug the oil return holes before removing the valves, some folks forget to do so (or just don't believe in reading instructions) until after they have the first one fall thru into the oil pan. Best to check that you have them all installed but chances are you do, and now you have an extra for your the next valve job.

And after finding you oil pickup buried in muck, aren't you glad to dropped the pan? As these cars fell to 3rd and 4th owners who often just bought them for dirt-cheap transportation they generally got next to nothing for maintenance which explains a lot of what we find when try to revive them.

Posted on: 2014/4/19 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
That sludge looks familiar! What are you using for engine paint?

Posted on: 2014/4/20 6:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I went with Rustoleum Light Machine Gray, I have a gallon can and you can get spray cans too. I like the color, pretty sure it isn't as dark as the original Packard color but it looks good and it's cheaper and locally available.

I got the new-to-me oil pan on today, which meant I also had to reassemble the timing gears and chain to get that cover on, so everything would mate up correctly. New gaskets and seals all around which is why all this stuff was off in the first place, trying to stem the tide of oil that had been freely spewing from every orifice of this thing back when dinosaurs and Packards ruled the Earth. Now the engine is sealed up to keep the dust out since I'll be in Reno all this week for work.

It was in the 70's today which meant I could work with the hangar door open and the plastic pulled aside, maybe I can take all that down next weekend too.

Posted on: 2014/4/20 20:05
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Got home Friday night, and got some time to work on the car this weekend. I started to clean the remains of the tarpaper soundproofing or whatever it was off of the inside of the roof, so that I can reprime it. Then I can run the new wires through the roof edges. Most of the wires for the rear of the car run along the drivers side roof edge, there are some door switch wires that go on the pax side.

I'm also trying to finish the engine part of the project. Today I finished wire brushing the head (all of those nuts are a pain) and the rear of the engine, bellhousing area. A bit of reaching with a little stainless brush for some of the bellhousing behind the engine, but I managed to get it presentable for paint.

I started to put on the harmonic balancer pulley, but it doesn't seat all the way - see the picture. I tried pulling it down with the bolt and washer but it only goes so far, and doesn't get flush with the end to the shaft. So I have to get some bolts that fit the pulley, 7/16 fine thread which did not come with my puller set. When I disassembled it originally I just used a regular gear puller, but now I don't want to muck up the paint so I will do it right. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? There is just the timing gear, then the seal carrier, and then this pulley. I greased the inside of the cork seal prior to trying the pulley, so it shouldn't be hanging up on that?

Attach file:

jpg  (47.67 KB)
34001_535dca28c2f8f.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (34.61 KB)
34001_535dca3987b72.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/4/27 22:26
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved