Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Thanks for all the ideas, guys. I removed the timing cover and verified that my gears were indexed correctly, then we verified it again using the service manual instructions for the 327 (#8 ex valve just closed, should show 4 deg after TDC on the marks). Then we removed the oil pump and my son hald the distributor in the proper position per Ross's instructions, and after a few tries I was able to get the oil pump engaged and we were in the proper place. Moved all the wires back to the correct towers on the cap again, rang them all out to verify good connections, buttoned up all the bits I had apart and hooked up the battery. And...

It runs!

Posted on: 2014/7/27 19:55
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Feels good, don't it?

Attach file:

jpg  (6.32 KB)
23_53d5a19f27ed9.jpg 203X203 px

Posted on: 2014/7/27 20:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
CONGRATS!!!

Posted on: 2014/7/27 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Great To Hear! The sound of a running engine is very rewarding.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 9:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Were you able to determine why the engine would not run? Timing the oil pump - distributor in itself would not correct the problem. Spark plug wires not installed correctly? Usually something is discovered in the trouble shooting process. Just curious.

Main thing is you got the engine running, and that must make you feel good.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/28 11:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
You're right, it was great to hear it fire up. As far as the troubleshooting goes, I think that since my oil pump/distributor combo was off slightly it was putting the vacuum advance can too far up and I was reluctant to keep turning the distributor to get the rotor to point exactly at the tower. When I got it in the proper orientation then it lined right up without any gymnastics, and it just "looks right". Otherwise I didn't really change anything, just connected, disconnected, reconnected as I went. Lots of second-guessing myself until I couldn't prove anything was wrong, eventually we just assembled it all and figured what the heck, try it.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 14:30
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Well, now that it is proven to run, I had to pull the trigger and order some stuff. So, a new gas tank and radiator mounts are on their way along with some other sundries. I need to install the rear axles and seals, that's tomorrow. Then all the brakes can be assembled and bled. I need to buy and get mounted some tires. And I need to get an alternator and mount kit, thinking a one-wire setup will be good.

The radiator and heater core are at the shop for testing and hopefully minor repairs. Fingers crossed.

My new exhaust system showed up so that can be installed, I'll have to rebuild or find replacements for a couple hangers.

With all that then I'll have a vehicle that can at least move under it's own power, even if just around the hangar rows at the airport. Wiring and that stuff would be the step after that. Seems simple but there is a lot of work between here and there.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 23:28
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Sure is good news that you got it running! It would sound even sweeter after the efforts to fix it.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 1:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
If you want to install an alternator, go to one of the Model A websites. You can buy a 6 volt, positive ground alternator there and not have to mess with the issues of resistors for the dash and radio, etc. Mac's is one site, and Burts (in Denver) is another. Or if you have more money to spend, you can get a PowerGen, which is an alternator that looks like a generator. That way you won't lose points at the All Original Car Show in Billings (I usually judge the Packards)!

Posted on: 2014/8/2 8:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I installed the rear axle shafts after replacing the oil seals, then reassembled everything and got the play correct using a dial indicator - I had to remove one shim probably to make up for the thickness of the paint when I painted the brake supports, and the new gaskets are a skish thicker I think. All my wheel bearings were good except for one of the inner fronts, had a dented cage like somebody had dropped it once so I replaced that one.

I bought new brake shoes from NAPA that are very close but with a little thicker web. I had to grind on those a little so that the adjusters would engage correctly, and on the bottom adjuster points to increase the depth so that the drums would fit over the shoes after assembly. 20 seconds on each shoe with my hand grinder and on with my life, these shoes were about $25 per set vs. $70 to $115 per set plus shipping from the big sources, so a little grinding didn't cause me any heartburn.

Attach file:

jpg  (122.76 KB)
34001_53df03aae7286.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (54.64 KB)
34001_53df03c139cf7.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/8/3 22:53
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved